Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone clarify this? I want to upgrade my 74 CJ5 w/ a 304 and Dana 20 to a T18A (wide ratio - 6.32). More wide-ratios 4spds are available on Ford Trucks to 1979 (I believe) but are they a direct bolt-on like the CJ5 T18A??? Are are the input and output shaft different (length or diameter)????? Specifics would be great. Thanks.

Devin

·
Registered
203 Posts
The ford is a direct bolt up to certain bellhousings, but needs an adapter for the input and out put shaft, at least to go to a dana 300. My bellhousing was for a SR-4 tranny, and my t-18 came from a 74 ford 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton. I think other bellhousings can be made to work with minimal modification.
good luck, hope this helps somehow.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The Ford input shaft is about 1/2" shorter than the Jeep CJ input shaft, but can be made to work with a special pilot bushing. There are no Ford output shafts that work with the Jeep D20. I'm pretty sure most Ford versions will bolt up to your bellhousing (you should have either a T-15 or T-150 now, right) but you will need to drill a few holea and you will need an adapter for the transfer case. Your best bet is to get a FSJ or a Scout T-18 that already has the D20 adapter and swap in a Ford input shaft.

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa_Jeep ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
In a 74 CJ you need to use a Ford T18 and a 76 up short bellhousing if you want the max driveline length.
Use a Novak Adapter and the T18 roller pilot bearing.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Originally posted by Rwsj:
<STRONG>In a 74 CJ you need to use a Ford T18 and a 76 up short bellhousing if you want the max driveline length.</STRONG>
The length difference between a Ford T18 and a CJ model T18a is only about 1/4" , the Ford being shorter and the difference is in the input shaft. The bellhousing used with the CJ T18a is the same length as the one used with a Ford T18 so the driveline length isn't an issue. The earlier CJ T18's (w/4.03 first gear) were about 3" longer than the Ford and in that case driveline length is an issue in a CJ5.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Originally posted by Grandpa_Jeep:
<STRONG>The Ford input shaft is about 1/2" shorter than the Jeep CJ input shaft, but can be made to work with a special pilot bushing. There are no Ford output shafts that work with the Jeep D20. I'm pretty sure most Ford versions will bolt up to your bellhousing (you should have either a T-15 or T-150 now, right) but you will need to drill a few holea and you will need an adapter for the transfer case. Your best bet is to get a FSJ or a Scout T-18 that already has the D20 adapter and swap in a Ford input shaft.

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa_Jeep ]</STRONG>
Not entirely true, 99% of Scout T18's are 4:1 boxes. If you want a 6:1 box you swap the Scout mainshaft into the Ford T18 and use the Scout D20 adapter. Whola D20 6:1 T18 that will work in a Heep. Also, from 75 on IH used the T19, the T19 and T18 main shafts are different.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts