Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up a '94 22re to drop into my '85. Any major difference between the two I should be aware of? Emissions stuff pretty much the same?

·
Read Only
234 Posts
The TB's are different. The new TB does away with idle air control valve. You'll have to reuse the TPS and paw off the 85 or change the plug on the wiring harness. Other than that everthing else should work fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Complete newbie dumbass question, but didn't they change the fuel injection system sometime in the 90's to a sequential set up as well as changing the throttle body? And, if so, as far as a complete engine swap wouldn't the wiring harness (injectors different shape plug, Type F instead of Type C) and ECU need to be changed also?
Just the block and head in the that time frame are interchangeable, but swapping the whole motor could be a pain right?
Feel free to tell me how wrong I am. I gotta learn somehow :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I put a 92 22re in my 85, all I did was put my efi intake/TB on the 92 motor and popped it in,not an issue at all, only wish I could have the newer TB! I just swapped all my smog stuff to it also, (it wasnt much).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think I answered my own question. I just got the engine back in the 4runner. These are the thing I had to do to get it to match the original.

Upper intake manifold from the '85 bolts straight to the '94 lower. The '94 upper didn't have all the right holes drilled for hoses and what not so I had to use the '85.

You're right about the plugs not hooking up on the injectors. In fact, none of the '94 plugs are the same as the '85 so I had to change to the '85 injectors and all the temp guages and all the other plugs had to be switched as well.

There's some emmission stuff on the '94 that didn't match up right, but thanks to a loving auto manufacturer like toyota they still had all the orginal holes and mounts for all the old emmissions stuff. I just switched it all out.

The thermostat cover from the '85 hooks straight on to the '94 and gives me my plug for the temp sensor there.

I've got a thorley header that looks like it's going to work out and there aren't going to have to be any changes to that at all.

I guess we'll really see how all this works out tomorrow and make sure that I'm not going to have to bring the sucker back to the juck yard on my 30 day warranty. Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it's in. Runs, but not very long. I'm no good at trouble shooting. Anyone want to give this a stab? She starts, idles well for 5-10 seconds and then sounds like someone starts to choke the hell out of her and she spits and sucks and then dies. Truely a sad story.

Anyways, if no one has any ideas I'll take it to a NAPA tomorrow and let the professionals figure it out.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I would bypass the fuel pump to the battery and taht would pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's a good time for you to do a Late model throttle body swap ... if you have the complete 94' intake. Take the 85' upper plenium and t-body off, remove the TPS from the 85' throttle body and install it on the 94' throttlebody. Swap over the appropriate coolant lines and remove the auxilary air bypass valve. Adjust the TPS to spec and install the 94' upper plenium and t-body on the 85' intake manifold.

I can give you more specific information and pic of the conversion I did to my 86' 22RE if you need them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the pluses of throwing that '94 throttle body on the engine? It didn't look too different from the '85. The '94 didn't have the holes for my power steering though. What could I do about that?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Not sure if it is much help, either way here is a pic of my engine 94'

THe throttle body helps out with response ad airflow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts