Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the differences in the housing on D60 rears??

I've found a couple different *styles* and a quick search did not lead me to a good thread on the differences between them.

I have seen the D60's that look just like a bigger D44, single "rib" around the cover area.

I found a couple other at the pull-a-part that had a double rib (8-lug FF out of a late Ford)

I have also seen housing with more slab sides (almost octagon shape).

not all of them have the little "60" stamped into the web, so I'm not 100% sure they all are D60's. It there and easy way (short of pulling a shaft, if still equipped) of telling a D70 from a D60? I have heard that covers are the same, and I have heard the covers are different.

This is going to be cut down and shaved into a semi-float w/1.5" 35-spline shafts... so its not *that* big of a deal, just if one housing is a better choice than the other....

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
one is standard one is hd and one is dodge and the easy way to tell is pull the axles all dana 70s have either 1.5 23 spline or 1.5 35 spline

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
GearMan said:
one is standard one is hd and one is dodge and the easy way to tell is pull the axles all dana 70s have either 1.5 23 spline or 1.5 35 spline
Damn,...whadaya think you are? Some sorta axle expert or something!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Actually, D70 also cone in 32, and I think a 16 spline too.

But - either way - advice is still sound for telling it from a ff60 rear, as they are mostly 30 spline, and afaik, D70 never came in a 30 spline

Only possible confucion is a ff 35 spline 60 with a ff 35 spline 70, but the 60 in ff 35 is quite rare.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
my brother got a dana 61 rear that is 35 spline, ff, 4.10. it came outtof a mid 80's e350 van(ford). has it been regeared(theres fresh gasket goop on the pumpkin cover)? i thought all 61's were deep(3.07, etc) gears???

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
BillaVista said:
I know at least in fronts they came factory with 3.07 or 3.54 1987-1992

Not much help on rears
theres a guy in the 4sale section with the same thing, ill be damn, want the BOM info for your 60 tech paqe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts