Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say i was to run 38's in the rar of my truck and like 35's in the front, how would one figure out the gearing for each axel so i wouldnt chew up u-joints?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
Mabye insted of using tire height, use the actual tire rolling length. Like if it takes 132 inchs for one tire to roll one rev, then the other one 80 inchs. Use those to find you ratio. It probably wont matter that much, but just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,348 Posts
jarvisjeep said:
Mabye insted of using tire height, use the actual tire rolling length. Like if it takes 132 inchs for one tire to roll one rev, then the other one 80 inchs. Use those to find you ratio. It probably wont matter that much, but just a thought.
It could matter quite a bit actually. You could also measure center of hub to the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, im not actually doing this (yet) but it has crossed my mind for a neat idea of have, but when i do it ill be mesuring the tires, not gunna go by what the sidewall says
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,348 Posts
NetBSD said:
thanks for the replies, im not actually doing this (yet) but it has crossed my mind for a neat idea of have, but when i do it ill be mesuring the tires, not gunna go by what the sidewall says
Don't know if you have thought of this, but you will need 2 spares with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snowbird13 said:
Don't know if you have thought of this, but you will need 2 spares with you.


yeah, unless i run open diffs, then i could get away with a diff size tire to get off the trail, if anything this would be a drag truck so its not going to be in a remote location without access to tools/spare parts easily, its a dream right now but as soon as summer hits ill be lookign for a donor truck to start with. anyone wanna toss any info about building one be my quest, all info is great
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40,287 Posts
By drag truck, I assume you mean mud drags or sand drags. You're talking about a pretty common mod, although most of the guys who do this will spin the front tires slightly faster than the rears (say 3.54 front & 3.73 rear if all 4 are the same size & alter it a bit more if staggered tire size).

I actually posted this video elsewhere just a few minutes ago:

www.gumbo4x4.com/LINN013.mpg

That's obviously not a budget minded truck, but same stuff applies.

TEX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TEX said:
Whoops, just recognized your sign-in name - you posted this over on the Stompers sight too, right?

nope, this is the only forum i use for trucks, probly someone else
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top