Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I built my rear suspension the panhard bar mount covered the stock differential breather location. I put a plug in the stock breather hole.

I am running a Ford 05 aluminum differential cover on my truck. I drilled and tapped it for a breather hole near the top of the pumpkin. I screwed a barb fitting into it and connected the stock breather hose to it.

It works fine except that quite a bit of oil comes out of my breather hose. It probably pumps a cup of oil out on a 1000 mile trip.

Any ideas on how to (easily) fix this problem ? I'd rather not open up the differential on my truck (yet again).

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Seems like running the breather hose up a few feet above the axle should solve that, if not then the hose is probably too small and oil is preventing air from entering the axle, then oil just gets pushed up as temperature goes up.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The old breather tube location was on the top/back of the axle tube, just inside the frame.

The new breather tube location is on the back of the differential (ie straight out the back of the diff cover) near the top.

The end of the rubber breather hose is similar in both situations. Stock it was located under the frame rail via a clip. Now its mounted to the top of the spare tire X frame with the same clip.

In writing that I am wondering if there is some funky wind patter there that is sucking the oil out of the breather hose. The oil drips from the breather hose wind up on the tailgate of my truck.

How do you guys vent your diffs ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think it has more to do with the new location. If oil is constantly splashing the hole it will fill and when the diff vents it will spit the slug of oil out of the hose. I would put a spalsh guard inside the diff cover over the hole to prevent excess oil splash.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Sounds like the ring gear is throwing lube over the area of the vent hole and then pressure in the case is pumping it out.

I'd change the location myself.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree there is a lot of splashing going on. I was hoping not to open the diff again. ($75 for synthetic oil...)

Any ideas on fixing the problem from the outside ?

If I do move the breather location, where would I move it to ? Ie how would I drill and tap the new hole and not get shavings inside the diff ?

Pull an axle shaft and put something in the diff to catch the shavings while I drill a new hole in the axle tube ? There is room for a new hole on the other side of the diff.

Probably the least amount of splashing in the axle tube compared to the pumpkin...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you guys vent your diffs ?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
I agree there is a lot of splashing going on. I was hoping not to open the diff again. ($75 for synthetic oil...)

Any ideas on fixing the problem from the outside ?
crack the diff open, drain into clean pan, install splash gaurd. re-fill when you are done. no need for more $75 oil.

hmm.

take a 3/4" long piece of aluminum tube, and cap one end. drill/tap a hole for a fitting into the capped end.

remove current fitting from diff, and install in tube.

weld tube over current diff hole.

VIOLA!!! external splash gaurd.

is it really that hard to figure out how to drain and re-use oil?? fawk :blackshaking:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I had the same problem with a 203 doubler mounted upside down and the vent on the pto cover where the gear was throwing oil right at the vent. I couldn't move it. I made a small overflow tank. Tied the vent in the bottom and vented to atmosphere out the top. Mounted it higher than the 203. It would pump the oil in the tank while driving and drain right back in the 203 when parked. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

I tried half a dozen different breather configurations with the vent location at the top of the pumpkin since I first posted this. None of them would contain the oil. All of them lost some or a lot of oil.

Last weekend I drilled and tapped the axle tube and used a hose with the end tied up in the frame. Not a drop leaked out on a 1000 mile trip.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
someone on here posted up a breather that was basically an accordion-looking bellows, and would expand and then shrink when temperature changed, no lost gear oil. anyone else remember this?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
someone on here posted up a breather that was basically an accordion-looking bellows, and would expand and then shrink when temperature changed, no lost gear oil. anyone else remember this?
Its been done hundreds of times. You can source the bellows breathers at any good atv store, or trail gear sells them as a kit..

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ford 10.5" full floating.

I generally overfill it to prevent the pinion seal from burning and leaking. I park the truck on an incline and the pinion seal always did this prior to over filling the diff.

However, the oil loss with the pumpkin breathers continued regardless of the oil level. Basically if the diff had oil in it, the pumpkin breathers leaked it.

The largest hose I tried was 5/16" ID going straight up for about a foot and secured to the frame.

Makes no sense to me why it drooled so bad, but it did.

I didn't try the accordian "breather".

The axle tube breather works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts