Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed an OX locker in my rear axle. After I ran it for about 40 min (on the freeway @ 65+ & RPM 2000-3000) it got pretty hot. I have never touched a differential before (never needed to:D) so I don't know how cool or hot they run. I can't touch and hold it more than 3 seconds.

Is this normal? Is it because it is still breaking in? I have used synthetic gear oil. 1.5 Quarts. (Dana 35). May be I should use thinner oil?

FYI- I have test ran it 0 -90 Mph, accelerating, decelerating, cruising etc. No vibrations, noises, Nothing. Super Smooth ride.

Thanks!

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Breaking in a new set of gears can build some heat, that's why it important to follow the break in proceedures, light driving, stop and cool, light driving stop and cool, change diff fluid, take it easy the first 500 miles, change diff fluid again. Richmond gear/West Cost diff/Randy's all have similar break in preceedures several short trips 10-15 min and letting it cool 15-30min,
Article by Randy Lyman (Randy's ring and pinion) http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm

After I did a grear swap, my diff was very hot to the touch after a short trips (15 minutes), it took several heat/cool cycles to get it back down to normal. Once the gears broke in and I changed the diff fluid, all was good, the axle was warm, but not burning hot.

40 min on the freeway 65mph+ was probably not the best way to do it... but since you used synthetic, maybe you got lucky and didn't burn them up. Once gears are broken in the diff should be warm, but not burning hot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Breaking in a new set of gears can build some heat, that's why it important to follow the break in proceedures, light driving, stop and cool, light driving stop and cool, change diff fluid, take it easy the first......
Thanks all...

Man...:mad3: Someone Punch me in the face :( I knew I had to break it in but I didn't know I have to do very short trips. (Great article by the way on how to break in.. )

Very first I did drive for 5 min. cool off for 2 hrs, then another 5 min, cool off for 8 hrs ( they were actually test runs to check the gear installation)

Well I wasn't really on the freeway for 40 min. it was more like 20-25 min on the freeway and the rest was just driving around. I didn't do anything aggressive, except one time i went up to about 90mph ( about 30 sec of driving) just to see if theres any abnormalities. When I stopped I touched it and it was not that hot. (it was in the morning) But after that 40 min I let it cool for about 2.5 Hours.

Then I did about another 30 mins (20 min freeway), thats when it got really hot. ( I was still able to touch it.. for few secs) Then I let it cool off for 13 hrs.

I've been taking this to work, about 20 min drive and it cools off for 8 hrs afterwards. Again nothing aggressive. (no hills etc)

So far I have put about 40 miles on the new pinion and the ring. I guess after about 100miles I will change the oil.

Today I drove for about 30 min. (@less than 35 mph) and it was warm, was not hot at all.

I really hope I haven't trashed the ring and the pinion. :(

If this Blows SCREW it.... I will start working on a Dana 44 or a ford 8

Thanks again...

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Probably OK, then...:crosses fingers: Pull the dif cover and take a look when you change the diff fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts