Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well, last night I picked up all the pieces from the powder coater and got everything installed.

Unfortunately, MontyPics is down and I can't upload my pictures. Anybody wanna help the brother out?;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, OS.:beer: :beer: :beer:

It hold two cans, my 60" Hi-Lift, and my 285 spare. Most of the weight is supported by my rear bumper, but there is a link that attaches it to the rear door. That way it pivots with the door, and no additional latches are required.

I would have moved everything closer to the rear door, but the rear wiper arm is there, so I had to allow room for that. Of course, now my rear visibility is zero. But after the lift and my spare, there wasn't much to see out the back anyway.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Greg,
Does that opperate like the stock D90 carrier, where the door actuates the the carrier? Quite a feat of homebrew engineering. How far out is the tire from the door in the closed position?

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff, I think so, but I'm not real familiar with the D-90 stuff. When you open the door, the carrier opens with it. They basically operate as one unit.

Don't have the actaul dimensions, but becasue the cans are between the tire and door, it's pretty far out there. Looks real goofy from the side, but I figured I'd need to get to the spare alot more often than the cans, so that's why it's on the outside.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Looks great! Does it bounce at all while driving down the road? That would be my main concern.

How exactly is it attached? You said something about it being attached to the rear bumper. I'd love to see a pic of the bumper and door attachment!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,it bounces. And it's driving me crazy! It bounces from front to rear,if that makes sense. I'm looking at making another locating link that attaches to the upper rear door hinge and out to the carrier. That would prevent it from "rocking" back and forth. Danm! Another link to try and figure out.

I'll try and take some more shots of the hinge points. The first and last pictures show the door attachemnt.

And Mike, no it's not. She has a carport.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Damn, too bad you can't get a shot of a white range rover on blocks in her carport. That would be sweet! :)

Are the bushings your'e using for that hinge piece OME trailing arm bushings? The size and color looks just about right.....

Again, nice work!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bushings are bronze oilite. That way they won't deform under load nor will the UV rays deteriorate them. Plus, you never have to lube them. They are sleeved with a SS insert, which the pivot bolt passes through.

Problem is, the more I look at it, the less I like it. It just looks silly as hell hanging so far off the back that way.

The only way to snug things up is to move the spare against the door, at an angle parallel to the rear door glass. Then mount the cans behind that. Now that I see that I don't have any rear vision, losing the rear wiper isn't a concern.

BUT, if the spare is against the door, I'd have to make a disconnect for the door hinge so I could get the spare off. I just don't see an easy way to get all that stuff mounted cleanly on the back.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Greg Davis said:

Any suggestions?
Unfortunately the only way to completely fix this problem is to put the tire inside the disco on the rear floor. I don't have a disco and thus don't know if it would fit. Most likely you don't want to do this or you would have already tried.

Otherwise, welcome to the cutting edge in LR Parts design. Maybe if you figure it out you should try selling the design to some folks on another Bulletin Board that will go un-named. I'd bet they'd eat it up!

·
Registered
740 Posts
The key here is to get another attachment point up high on the right side. That way, you'll be able to keep the whole thing from swinging front to back and shaking and tearing up your rear door.

Hope this helps!

-John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts