Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any problem running different sized tires front and rear as long as the gear ratios are matched to the tires size. I am only considering it since i have a d44 front and a 14 bolt rear, and i am going to upgrade to a d60 later, and swap to the same sized tires.
Dewey

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
what are you hoping to gain by this?

there's no real good reason to run different size tires and match the ratios to them... unless you plan on doing something like the Quagmire thing that was in the rags a couple years ago

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I guess if the axle ratios are correct you'll be OK. Personally, I'd just let it sit in the driveway until I had it built right. I'm not sure what other problems you're going to run into trying that setup.

Hef:confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not a problem

as log as it is a Vette, Porsche, NSX or something similar that was made for different tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
tire sizes should only be different on extreme mud-racers. And they have the same gears front and rear. Or they will have the same size tires, and diff gears.

Oh yea... I have diff size tires on my truck (stock tires for working on front end)

·
Registered
671 Posts
i don't remember what issue it was, but in Petersen's 4 wheel and off road magazine there was an article on this old 30's ford body on a 4x4 chassis that had 42s in the rear and 38s in the front. The thing was bad ass too. He had the gears matched up and it didn't do anything to the rig.

·
Registered
741 Posts
that guy was in TTC a couple years ago - if you really want to do it you can do the math to match up the ratios to the tire sizes and it will theoretically work

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that rig is what gave me the idea. The reason i am considering it is that a 14 bolt will handle a larger tire than the 44 up front and if i gear the 14 now with lower gears i'll just match that ratio in the 60 when i swap it in.
dewey

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
36-37 up front and 40's in the rear. I am just trying to run a big tire and still not have the bad effects of them (steering, u-joints and shafts of the 44)
dewey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts