Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Are they incandescent or led? They offer both options. If you know the part number of the switch but don't know the bulb type I can decode it for you.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You could just install a dash light dimmer?

Or.. hook a diode in series with the switch lights so they only see 6V

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are they incandescent or led? They offer both options. If you know the part number of the switch but don't know the bulb type I can decode it for you.
They are LEDs

Its been long since I had electronics at school.. these have buildt in resistors in the switch for the LEDs. I can connect four is series and make them dim (five will not provide enough voltage to make them open). still pretty bright and dosnt help the "active/on"-led

I`ve failed to find anything by google, but surely someone at pirate have done it? I cant believe anyone is running these this bright :shaking:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Pop the cover off and add some sort of tint film to the inside of the little windows......or I think I have seen opaque (tint) paint somewhere, maybe try a hobby shop

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Pop the cover off and add some sort of tint film to the inside of the little windows......or I think I have seen opaque (tint) paint somewhere, maybe try a hobby shop
Nail polish. Good idea.

I keep nail polish in my tool box. Everyone who sees it is like WTF? But I use it to seal gauges. A small bead around the edge of the glass where it meet the bezel keeps water / condensation out and you can't tell its there. I use crystal clear but I'm sure they sell any shade of opaques.

·
Registered
949 Posts
They make PWM dimmers that'll work with LEDs. Probably get one dirt cheap direct from china on the egay.
What he said. You can also make one yourself for about 3 dollars if your a little electrical savvy. Its probably by the time you account for your time and a trip to the store to buy the parts its probably cheaper and easier just to buy one. The lights have their own ground. All you do is tie them together, and put the PWM dimmer inline with the ground. Wire +12 and ground to the dimmer and adjust to your liking.

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulb...TF8&qid=1408315178&sr=8-2&keywords=pwm+dimmer

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
What he said. You can also make one yourself for about 3 dollars if your a little electrical savvy. Its probably by the time you account for your time and a trip to the store to buy the parts its probably cheaper and easier just to buy one. The lights have their own ground. All you do is tie them together, and put the PWM dimmer inline with the ground. Wire +12 and ground to the dimmer and adjust to your liking.
Whenever I screw with PWM circuits I forget a resistor somewhere and they turn into a nice latching solid state relay or something else of the sort.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
That's what I'd do, go get some "smoke" color from an RC / hobby shop. Paint until desired effect.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You could also try getting led filters, available in swatch books, and using them to tint the back side of the rocker itself where the light comes through?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts