Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the advantage of cutting round dimples in a steel plate?

is it for saving weight?

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
The advantage is exactly that, save weight. But you can't just cut holes in the metal to lighten it, you must dimple it to give it back it's ridgidity (sp*)

Also some people cut holes in members to add cross tubes to add strength to a member so that it will not fold/compress. Not sure how to explain this except you ever take a carboard box and unfold the flaps and set it on the ground on its side? It has the tendency to flop and fold flat. Now if you ran a tube from one side to the other it would stay put.

There are pics everywhere but I think this one give a good level view of the holes & dimpling.

Plus the shit just looks cool!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnx for not being an ass, and for the techy response :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
There are so many diferant variables we have 6 diferatnt ones at the sheet metal shop I work at... They all use the same press it is 100 ton....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TODDK said:
They all use the same press it is 100 ton....

is this a minimum requirement?

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Was it Pig that was/is selling dies a while back? I tried to find the link on them, after thinking about it today, I'm intersted in a set. But for the life of me couldn't remember the price or the source. Anyone?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You can get versions that use a bolt to squeeze the dimple into the material or versions that fit in a press or press brake. Certian materials will crack before they dimple, mainly harder steels, Ti, some t-6 Al.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts