Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here know the clearance for a top and bottom die for dimpling 1/8" sheet?
Or about a cheap place to buy these dies or a set of blueprints?

Thanks
Dirk

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i own a set of dies and can go take some measurements but i don't know what you mean by clearance.......what part????

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Dirk said:
Does anybody here know the clearance for a top and bottom die for dimpling 1/8" sheet?
Or about a cheap place to buy these dies or a set of blueprints?

Thanks
Dirk
Dimple die sets (8 piece) were due in today. I'll have more info. in a little bit.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I've got a set of dimple dies I got from Mitler Bros. a few years ago, but haven't had an excuse to use em yet. would say 1/8" max thickness on these. about $80 I think.

Not sure what you're trying to do ... but have "dimpled" 1/4" alum. by using a 1.5" punch with a 2.00" die. Just get creative if trying this, cant really hurt anything by having too much clearance ... probs occur when you have too little.

Rule of thumb for "punching" is min. of 10% of material thick. =clearance

Eric

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I made some the other day. If you want I can provide you with some dimensions to make your own, if you have access to a lathe. Mine are for 14 ga. but I can send you drawings for any thickness or diameter you want.

Some of the ones I've seen advertised on the net use a straight chamfer to form the dimple. These have a radius. They can be drawn together with a 1/2" bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
toyfamily: I wasnt replying to you. ;) But if you want prints you can have them. See below.

If this is something that people are interested in, I will get them mass produced to bring the price down. The first person to email me for prints will get them.

A bead roller would be sweet! Ive actually been thinking of buying some sheet metal tools before buying a better mig welder :eek: (mine is a 135 amp hobart)

Id like to building a press brake, and some shrinking tools. Maybe an english wheel as well. A stomp sheer would be pretty damn nice too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
urjb said:

Rule of thumb for "punching" is min. of 10% of material thick. =clearance

Eric
That's the rule I've used for a few shears I've designed. The biggest one cut 3/4" coil on the fly at 200 fpm. It was a big mofo. I'd say for a dimple it would entirely depend on the depth of draw you are after.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If I was to ever produce them, the price would be better than what I've seen so far on the net.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
bgreen yours look like aluminum. I have never seen aluminum before. do they hold up OK? have other people used it with success. I just made some out of A2 and hardened them to ~55HRC sure would have been easier to just use aluminum.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts