Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 70' 302 where there was a 5.0 and cant seem to figure out where the dipstick should go. There is no hole in the timing chain cover, but I see where it should be and could be drilled. From what I can see a 5.0 dipstick goes into the drivers side of the block and all 302's I've seen go into the timing chain cover or the oil pan. There is a plug in the 302 on the drivers side of the block where it looks like a dipstick could go but the hole goes into the block at 90 degrees instead of 45 or 30 degrees like it should. Please help if you know any info other than the info stated.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
THere sould be a mount in the oil pan.

I just went through this...

YOu have an old model timing chain cover... no dipstick tube... the dipstick will NOT go into the block. You will need a new timing chain cover with a spot for a dipstick, or an oilpan that has a tapped hole for a dipstick on the driver's side.

Doug

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ran into this same prob. on my last swap.
I drilled a hole into the oil pan (then angled it) big enough for a peice of tube that was big enough for the newer style dip-stick tube to slip snuggly into.
Put this hole at the same location as the recess in the block(were it normaly would be), set the hieght of the new filler tube adapter so the top is the same hieght as the block lip(were it normaly sits for hieght). rough up oil pan in the general area and Epoxy the new adapter tube in place.
I put the adapter tube into the oil pan, the dip stick tube into the adapter and bolted it to the exhaust manifold so it was all in position, then applied the epoxy to the surrounding area of the adapter tube. let it harden, then re apply(I did a couple coats to add thickness & strength). Then if possible scooge some expoy to the inside.
Its bin workin great for me, and I was in a REAL jam to get it goin at the time I noticed "No fuckin' dip stick hole?? WTF?!?!"

Or you could weld it on(I was NOWHERE near welder + used brass tube).

I think you can get oil pans with a dip stick tube in them aswell.
Good luck :D

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Welcome to the club. I currently can NOT check my oil. It's quite disturbing. I searched high and low for a dual sump pan with dipstick, and they only exist for 351W. :mad:

Since I was working against the clock, I had to get on with things. I went ahead and installed a dual sump pan with no dipstick. I thought maybe I could trim the dipstick in the timing cover and be able to get somewhat of reading......no chance, not even close. It reads the same whether the motor has 1 qt or 5 qts.

Point being, if you get a timing cover with dipstick, that setup is designed for a FRONT sump pan, which most wheelers wouldn't be interested in. If your motor has no dipstick in the timing cover, then it probably originally had a rear sump pan with dipstick. These can be found in older trucks and vans. Next time I have my motor out, I'll be putting on a rear sump pan. These pans also hold an extra qt of oil.

You can also buy expensive aftermarket dual sump pans with dipstick. Moroso make one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts