Pirate 4x4 banner

Direction of Build Suggestions

764 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  White_Trash_Chevy 
#1 ·
Looking for some guidance, or a what would you do in this situation..
Rig is a Heep on 40s and 1 tons blah blah..I have a stock 5.3, 4l65e, and a np241/dana 300 doubler i have been using the last twoish years. I have broken my second rear output on the 300 on back to back trips same rock face, the second case was free so i thought id try again before trying a 32 spline option. Well i cant wheel now until i fix it and im kinda thinking about ditching this doubler and selling to fund a beefier case setup. I know i could try 32 spline outputs or at least in the rear but then the case breaks i have read, so thinking dont waste the money.
So i picked up a np205 for a good deal, and im planning on using northwest fabs eco box HD for the 205 to still give me some more gearing options im used to.
Im not sure what to do about my trans, i just dont want it to be my next weak link. Overtime i am learning to try and just do it once even if it costs a little more at first.
Originally went with the 4l65e thinking i would still hit the highway every once in a while with the thing but never really have. Just not sure if i should swap to a th400 or a 4l80e at the same time as the t case change because id really just like to swap input gears in the eco box once and mounts and all that. Have heard all the stories about 60e's so im not sure if it effects crawlers as much as far as strength.
Whats your take, keep the trans i got or swap in a 400 or 80e at the same time?
Or, slap a JB 32 spl output in the 300 and go actually wheel this summer, and not have to put in the time to fab new mounts, shifters, driveshafts all that fun stuff and maybe just take it a little easier on it until im ready to put in the 205?

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't miss the present, unless you stumble into a T400 setup soon. Quick fix. Wheel with your buddies as you find your ultimate solution. Then do the change when you have a month or so inactive. Midnight wrenching new stuff is really no fun and easy to not do it right. Sounds like you are on a budget so getting the good stuff will take some time.

#3 ·
Think you’re right I realized I got a cage to build and I’ve been putting it off for other projects. I found a used 300 hd output Im going to get today for about the same price as a whole case, if I don’t blow up anything when it’s time to do the 205 should be worth a little more when I sell it. So I think I’ll do a stronger trans when I do the eco/205, just not sure on 400 or 80e yet. Not finding many 400s but have seen a couple 80e’s with 241’s. That would be ideal to snag the planetary from. Not that I’ve ever hit 60 with my junk but with a 400 I would be at 2700rpm, but I do like my 60e first gear. Anyone with more input on trans selection would be great, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.