Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm SURE it is going to come up again this year --- it always does----

i know there are SEVERAL RV rental places in the LA area--- and a couple that 'deliver' to Hammertown !!!!

but for me, the closest to rent is in Bakersfield from Cruise America -- as i did last year----- and i just made my reservation for KOH 2012.

Dave usually has several places on hold with special KOH discounts-----
but last year, before i got off my skinny butt---- they were already 'sold out'---

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I spoke to Corona RV rental a few weeks ago and they had quite a few open still. They are also offering a discount for KOH folks and they deliver.

I bought a truck camper instead... I'm looking forward to my first shower on the lakebed and not sleeping in a race trailer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This Came off of Cottin Rodds facebook... So tell Randy cottin sent ya not me!:D
Bates Motor Home
15351 Big Sky Road Apple Valley,CA 92307
(760) 946-5834
TALK TO RANDY!!!! TELL HIM I SENT YOU FOR A SMOKIN DEAL!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can check on Cruise America----- all the others will be in the 'ballpark' and maybe a tad lower---

ALOT depends on mileage, #DAYS, AND 'TOW', AND GENERATOR HOURS-----

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Pops are you getting some kind of smokin deal at the place in Bakersfield that would make you drive that far out of your way? It's hard to believe that Corona RV or some of the places in Apple Valley are so expensive that they are not worth it for you.

Corona will deliver it to the Lakebed and set it up in your pit location. Just bring you red truck down with all your stuff and call it done.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Bates Motor Home
(760) 946-5834

I think Bates was a vendor out there last year????

If it wasn't them there was an RV guy who was avendor and the guy was nice, brought us extra water....

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Corona is our 'Official' RV supplier. Mike is beyond easy to work with and will have a booth in town all week if you have any issues.

I understand if you want to go somewhere else but watch your wallets when you go to Bates. We used them for the first big race. Rented 3 RVS from them. They had a bunch of stuff that didn't work from the get go, wouldn't fix them, then charged Griffin 3k for a bunch of bogus shit.

Renter beware.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Quote:
Bates Motor Home
(760) 946-5834

I think Bates was a vendor out there last year????

If it wasn't them there was an RV guy who was avendor and the guy was nice, brought us extra water....
Corona RV brought the extra water, this year you can get dump service included in the deal.

d

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How about if I was planning to fly into Vegas on Friday the week before the race. Should I rent an RV in Vegas and drive it to the Hammers, or rent a car in Vegas and get an RV delivered to the lake bed? I already have a vehicle lined up for transportation on the lake bed, just need to get there!

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
How about if I was planning to fly into Vegas on Friday the week before the race. Should I rent an RV in Vegas and drive it to the Hammers, or rent a car in Vegas and get an RV delivered to the lake bed? I already have a vehicle lined up for transportation on the lake bed, just need to get there!
I would call Corona, that way your house is out there waiting for you and you have the car for running around, plus look at the fuel costs you'll save on it's about 150 miles or so from Vegass to the Lakebed;)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would call Corona, that way your house is out there waiting for you and you have the car for running around, plus look at the fuel costs you'll save on it's about 150 miles or so from Vegass to the Lakebed;)
Yea, I'll already have my buggy out there for transportation around the lakebed though. So I wasn't sure paying for a rental car to be parked for 5 days would be that good of a move and that the RV mileage may be less then the cost of a rental car...

·
33,755 Posts
That's what we're doing! Last year we wasted an entire day away from the lakebed chasing down the RV. Not going to happen this year. Our RV will be there waiting on us!

·
Vendor
4,132 Posts
With Cruise America I can pickup an RV in Vegas Friday the 3rd and drive it there and back on Sat the 11th for ~$770 depending on gas prices and mileage (figured it at 10mpg, it's 213 miles Vegas to the lake bed). A comparable unit from Corona is $1910 delivered with 3 dumps. Is it really worth the extra $1100? Is Cruise America going to try to jerk me around on fees?

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
With Cruise America I can pickup an RV in Vegas Friday the 3rd and drive it there and back on Sat the 11th for ~$770 depending on gas prices and mileage (figured it at 10mpg, it's 213 miles Vegas to the lake bed). A comparable unit from Corona is $1910 delivered with 3 dumps. Is it really worth the extra $1100? Is Cruise America going to try to jerk me around on fees?
The only thing I remember getting hosed on at Cruise America was the generator fees.

That and you really can't compare the quality of the units. Cruise America is Motel6. Corona RV is a Hilton. I've stayed at plenty of Motel6's ;)

d

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How about this? Would flying out to come home Saturday be too early? Will I wish I stayed till Sunday? A day at home for recovery before work would be nice and it lowers the cost pretty significantly....

We'd be catching a flight in Vegas at 11AM so we'd be needing to roll out at like 6AM Saturday morning.....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
How about this? Would flying out to come home Saturday be too early? Will I wish I stayed till Sunday? A day at home for recovery before work would be nice and it lowers the cost pretty significantly....

We'd be catching a flight in Vegas at 11AM so we'd be needing to roll out at like 6AM Saturday morning.....
You will miss nothing Saturday other than the awards presentations and the race course volunteer trail ride/clean-up. Half of HammerTown is gone before the sun goes down on race day.

After a week of non-stop work I leave the sand box on Saturday afternoon...check into a hotel for the best shower in what seems like forever and have a nice meal with my mom. Sunday I take the earliest flight possible back to the East Coast.

Just my .02!!! I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
You will miss nothing Saturday other than the awards presentations and the race course volunteer trail ride/clean-up. Half of HammerTown is gone before the sun goes down on race day.

After a week of non-stop work I leave the sand box on Saturday afternoon...check into a hotel for the best shower in what seems like forever and have a nice meal with my mom. Sunday I take the earliest flight possible back to the East Coast.

Just my .02!!! I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I flew out on Saturday the past two years. Hammertown is half gone by midnight Friday. I think the only reason to stay Saturday is to wheel. The flight back to the east is long. With time change and a layover, I've been catching an 11am flight and getting home around midnight. Sunday is all about recovery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts