Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to thank the guys from We Built 4 Wheel Drive club in Rocklin for all the help this weekend. If you didn't know, Jason Berger plans offroad trips for disabled and handicap folks from around the world. This weekend was a trip into the Rubicon. We came in from the Tahoe side and camped at the Dirty Dozen camp area. Saturday was a day trip to Buck and back. Sunday was a trip back to Tahoe.

It's amazing what these people go through in day to day life. It's really a special weekend for them to see something they may have never had the chance to see and do without all the help of the volunteers.

I'm sure Jason and Andrea have some pics form the weekend they can post. To see a parapalegic swimming at Buck Island or a kid with cerebral palsey hanging out at the campfire with all the guys is something I'll never forget.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
so how does one go about getting involved in this? i saw something similar a few years back and thought it was a great idea.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Drop a line to Jason -- he goes by jbcruiser on this board.

He has his phone number at the bottom of this thread, from when my club pitched in: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260689

Kudos to Webilt and TonyK for volunteering to help... this is a serious feel good boost when you do it, and reflects very well on our hobby!

Randii

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
BrettM said:
i bet this would be a good place to start: http://www.webilt.com/forum/

Thanks brett, webilt has participated the last two years, some information is on our bulletin board, but mostly just our roll call. Jason is the man to call and hopefully I can chip in next year. Glad to hear that you were out for it too tony. Thanks

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Well that's got to be the coolest thing I've heard of in a long time. Congrats and thank you!

I've had a severe back injury from a car accident, three back surgeries, years of rehab and spent to much time not being able to walk, still have issues but get around. Have friends that take care of me on the trail, so it's a little sweeter for me as well.

But this event is just great! God bless those involved!

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Looks like Tony beat me to the post. Still trying to recover from the weekend.
This was our 3rd Disabled Sports Rubicon Adventure. We had 17 participants, who most had never been 4-wheelin before. As Tony stated in the previous post, we started on the Tahoe side, went into the springs, then up to Buck for a swim, and came back out on Sunday.
Our volunteers, just like every year, truly amaze me with their support for the program and their commitment to our participants. We had a great group this year! I would like to thank Tony K. and his family, Chris Pablano and his family, Phil Pasiak ("voodoo" on the PBB), Derrick and Tony from Trent Fabrication ("T-Fab" on the PBB) Scott Fisher, and of course all the great guys and gals from the We-Built 4 wheel drive club for all their help. You all made this an unforgettable trip for our disabled participants.
Jeepers Jamboree USA and Rubicon Soda Springs donated all the fees for the Dirty Dozen Campground. Thank you so much!!
Also, I would like to thank Jess @ High Angle Driveline for his support of Disabled Sports USA and Mountain Goat Motorsports!!
If anyone would like to get involved next year, please PM me and I promise to contact you. I have not been very good at keeping track of everybody's numbers in the past. I promise to improve and get you out there volunteering for us. It is a life changing experience.
I have a lot of pics that I will try and post. Hopefully they will come out O.K. My wife took them with her 8 meg camera and I am an idiot when it comes to sizing them down. :confused:
Thanks again to everyone who helped out. I'm already thinking of next year!

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I gotta say... thats one of the most admirrable things I have seen in a looong time! I Dont have a bad ass rig built up yet... but next time you do this please drop me a line... I'd like to help out anyway I can.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Another thing i would like to mention. We-built 4-wheel drive club not only beats their rigs for our participants, they also cook, clean and raised over $4000 for our event. Way to go guys. It is dedication from clubs and people like you that will keep this thing going for years to come.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
97 TJ

2" coil spacers
33" pro comps
4-1 tera set
super 35 rear
rock equipment sway bar
arb ice chest
am/fm

4 cyl 5 speed...everything else stock

Towing a trailer through the con. Truely a sight to see. I'm gonna mention it to Ranch and see if we can use trailers for bonus points at the next comp :)

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
BrettM said:
is this going to be publicized anywhere? SacBee? this is good stuff, and it would be beneficial to us all for the world to see it.

We have had quite a bit of publicity over the past few years. We have had articles in a lot of local papers. We have also had coverage in 4-wheel drive and sport utility magazine. The plan this year was to have an article come out in XOM....looks like that isn't going to happen.
We will try and get some more coverage next year.
i am also planning on setting up a booth during the comps so people can learn about the program and how to get involved with us or start something in their state. Big Rich has given me the O.K. (I'm hoping UROC will come through).I haven't spoken with Mike from SXOR, yet, but I'm sure he would be willing to help out. I just have to work out the logistics of staffing someone in the booth while I am competing. I have also had a great reponse from Clay Egan. For those who don't know, Clay is a quad who competes in UROC. He has quite an inspirational story and I hope to get him involved next year.
This program has the potential to go really far and help with our cause of keeping trails open. It just takes a lot of work and time.
Here is the Disabled Sports website.... www.dsusafw.org

·
Top Shelf
2,865 Posts
Tony and I had a great time and made many new friends. This is the second year Trent Fabrication has been involved and you can count on us for next year. We would like to help in any way we can. Jen says she can help man a booth at a competition if you give her advanced notice. Jason, you and Andrea are doing a great job and really making a difference. We look forward to next years run and want to thank the participants and volunteers for a great weekend!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts