Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, our 5th annual Disabled Sports Rubicon Adventure took place. Just like previous years, the volunteer effort was incredible. We had 20 participants and 30 volunteers driving 22 rigs.
There are a few people I need to thank and then I would like to share a lengthy story. Please take the time to read this, as it is well worth it.
I want to thank Mark Smith (Jeepers Jamboree) and Kevin (caretaker @ the springs) for donating the Dirty Dozen Campground and 25 sleeping bags and pillows for our participants. Also, WEBILT 4-Wheel Drive club out of Auburn for bringing 11 rigs and around 17 volunteers. They also raised over $3000 for the event :eek: Trent Fabrication out of Tahoe City brought 5 volunteers. Tony K. from Rock Equipment showed up and brought the barbeque trailer and did all of the trail repairs. Chris Pablano and Phil Pasiac also came along and transported participants and each hauled in a trailer. You guys all rock.

On the trip, there were a ton of very memorable moments, but one stands out for me. One of our participants, Scott, who I think is in his late 30's recently had a bicycle accident, which left him paralyzed. The accident happened around 20 months ago. The last 20 months have been incredibly difficult for him as you can imagine.
He brought his 10 year old son and his sister along for the trip. When he showed up, I noticed he was very quiet and didn't have too much interest in allowing any of us to help him.
On Fiday night, Andrea (my wife), got a chance to talk to Scott for a couple of hours after dinner. He explained to her that he still has some feeling in his legs and is in denial about the fact that he might never walk again. He used to be into a ton of extreme sports and the accident has been terribly rough on his life. He explained that one of his favorite things to do was to backpack into Desolation Widlerness. He was completely torn up at the thought of never getting to take his son into the places he had such fond memories of. Andrea explained to him that, although we are not going to be in Desolation Wilderness, we are going to be right on the edge of it and thought he might really enjoy the next day when we went up "Big Sluice" to Buck Island Lake.
On Saturday, Scott and his son had huge smiles on their faces as we climbed "Big Sluice"....they had a blast. Scott was totally amazed and impressed that we could drive over such difficult terrain. Then, when we got to Buck Island Lake he immediately threw on his snorkel and mask and took off across the lake. He must have been in the water for a good 45 minutes. When my wife and I saw him in the water, you couldn't wipe the smile from our face or the tears from our eyes. The other volunteers didn't know of Scott's past. They thought he was just going for a swim. Andrea and I knew he was "working things out"...he was back in his element. I don't think he stopped smiling from the time he got out of the water, to the time we dropped him off at his car.
At the end of the trip, Scott's sister asked us to come to the car. She told us that Scott wanted to talk to Andrea and I. She was very choked up. When we saw Scott, Andrea bent down to give him a hug and he explained to her that this trip was a life changing experience...he turned away as his eyes started to tear and then shook my hand and thanked me for the trip.............
Thank you and congratulations to everyone involved, because of you, Scott and his family were able to be back near Desolation enjoying the outdoors as he used to.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont ever talk on here but I just had to say this is a wonderful thing you are doing. I dont know who came up with the quote but "The truest measure of a man is often found in how he treats those who can do him absolutely no good" applies here. Everyone deserves a chance to get out in the world and the fact you are helping them do this is amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome Jason! I'm REALLY bumed I missed it this year... :(
but I am so glad that it was another great trip. :D
That reminds me.....A huge thank you to CRAWL Magazine for giving all of our participants and volunteers a free full years subsciption.

I have some more pics...but I guess now I am limited to just posting a few pics?? Guess I missed something

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
wow i didnt even know this was going on.... i would love to help out next year. I also bring the added bonus of being an emt for non vehicular trail repairs :D my rig will be finished by the time next years event happens, i would love to help out im pming you contact info.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nice job guys!

I hadn't heard of Disabled Sports USA before; sounds like a great organization. Also sounds like everyone involved on both sides had a great time!

http://www.dsusa.org/ for anyone else wanting to take a peak. :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i would like more info as well.

i have a 4 passenger+me rig and i am a paramedic as well. it would be fun.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to have alll of you on the next trip. It is hard to keep track of everybody here on the board. The trip is every year either late July or late August. PM me around May and I will have the date and info to see if you can make it.

The website to keep track of the dates is www.dsusafw.org ... http://www.dsusafw.org/summer.html (click on 4-wheel drive adventures)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
that is awesome. great idea, worth every minute to see those smiles i am sure.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wow!!! That is way cool. I'd like to try and be there next year for this event. I am a disabled Iraq War vet and have my own Jeep. I use to be like Scott and the idea of not being able to do some things with my daughter anymore are hard. I'll keep an on the the link and hopefully can come down next year.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We had a blast, and I'm sure everyone else there had a great time. I can't wait for next year. Thanks for inviting Gear Mashers on the trip -Randy, Tim, Zach, and myself (Phill).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For everyone saying you want to be a volunteer....DO IT! This is something that I will never forget, for the rest of my life. I talk about it constantly still (I went last year), and tell people about it all the time.

Keep the links, and do what you can to get out there and be a part of it next year!!! I felt honored that Jason and Andrea asked me to come last year and cover it for CRAWL. I had quitea few tears running from my eyes, before we even left from the parking lot to the trail head!! Good things I had my sunglasses on!! :D

·
WeBilt 4WD Club
376 Posts
I have been doing this event with Jason for the past 4 years and it keeps getting better every year. This is truly a life changing trip for not only the participants but the volunteers as well. I look forward to this trip every year.

Thanks to Jason and Andrea and all the other volunteers who do an incredible job getting everything organized before we all show up.

Thanks for another great year.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Awesome. I love to see events like these, so many people have a negative perception of wheelers, stuff like this helps change that. I'm sure your passengers had a blast also!

Thanks to all those who helped run this! :beer:

Chris

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
That's awesome. You guys have my upmost respect. Once I get my rig going, I want to do something like this for St. Jude's or anything to give some kids hope. Awesome man...that's all I can say.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the props...everybody.
It is a great trip.

I forgot to thank Dean @ Performance Cryogenics for the use of his trailer and barbeque. THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Nice to see those smiles, you really get a warm fuzzy.
Props to you Jason for posting up.
This is exactly why the trails need to be open. Scott's story and all the others need to be in front of the FS for the DEIS.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts