Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really care about street just the rubicon and other fun rock trails. I have a cj5 and was woundering if they get hung up or just to wide for some trails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had no problems with it although i am back east so i am judging by tellico and one trip to arizona. Everything gets hung up but i find it alot harder to roll and overall more stability

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm down in the San Diego are and I'm currently swapping in a full width front. I was running 62"s front and rear, keeping the rear 60 and going full width up front. More stability, flex (I guess that's cool) and when you are turning corners on the rocks the rear should follow about the same path as the front, but your going full width front and rear right. I say do it. Oh ya mine is not a DD but will be a street rig. I know I'm just gonna be a giant red flag for the ticket loving po po's out here:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
scramblerch, do you drive that scrambler around or is it a trail rig? I've just never seen it, and thought I knew everyone who wheeled here

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
here in the land of trees you definatly can be too wide,,, But if learn to drive up the tree bowls you can squeeze

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The problem with wide is you have to run over allot more stuff rather than miss it and narrower give you a little more lattitude on the trail without going off the the trail. I am 84" wide now and plan to go back to 80-82 in front and 2" narrower than the front in the rear because I get tired of having to run everything over.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I am full width, 87" to the outside of the tires. It barely fits on my trailer. The hammers are very cool, but as dean said 'you have to run everything over.' Open places like truckhaven or sand dunes are just plain cool. Both have advantages and disadvantages, I like wide.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i'm about 78" outsides of tires and there is a little picking and choosing of what line to take. but not so wide that it is a pain in the ass to pass people ,with about the same width or smaller, on the trail. you get two guys with rockwells heading in opposite directions, gonna have to flip a coin to see who gets run over.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
you get better clearance under the diffs...well not on paper but in the real world you do...when running over round or pointy boulders.

paint will save the day...
EDIT: i still like my fullwidth!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
A lot depends on the terrain you run and the height of your vehicle. If you're real high go wide for stability. We have a lot of narrow washes here so sometimes a wide vehicle does have it's issues!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chrisjeep7 said:
you get better clearance under the diffs...well not on paper but in the real world you do...when running over round or pointy boulders.

I say put them tires, from the narrower axle, on the fullwidths, and you'll clear that virtual obstacle! :D

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The other big pain is if/when you break down and have to get towed out you now have run over everything not under power and that is a bitch on those of use doing the towing and on you without power steering.
One thing about starting full width is you can always cut it down later.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Downtown Brown said:
I dont really care about street just the rubicon and other fun rock trails. I have a cj5 and was woundering if they get hung up or just to wide for some trails.
Full width what? 44's or 60's? I ran full width 44's apx 58" hub -hub and thats ok. my comp rig is 60". Tried 68" and hated it.
A 1970's Dodge dana 60 is 64" if you want to save on narrowing . A 14 bolt is an anchor and I even shaved 1.5" off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
right now it is my trail rig and dd but hopefully soon it will just be for trails. I came to greensboro this fall for my senior year in highschool. Most of the time i have been swapping axles and stuff this winter but i would love to get together

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I started out 60" fr and 58" rr. Ok I guess. Put on some 1.5" and 2" spacers, really liked it. Put in new axles at 62" with 2"BS and now I am 86.5" at the outside. I would not go back. No way......

·
Registered
350 Posts
at a width like keith you still have a choice, with more comes the resposibility of running over everthing in sight, guys with rockwells hit every big rock. but they also make the big rocks look small. it is all about the rock, size, shape, texture, slant,. It is all about the angle of the dangle

·
Registered
555 Posts
Chrisjeep7 said:

You put smaller tires on the fullwidth axles. You need to get a job doing 4x4 of the year tests for FOUR WHEELER:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have ran full width for several years now. With and with out big tires. The way I see it if you go full width you need BIG tires. I had 39.5's and it was perfect. I was 87" outside to outside on the front and a little narrower on the rear. My current build up will have the setup about 2-4" narrower than I was with less tire.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts