Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Percent Ackermann

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing the steering for a 4x4 single seater ATV with a locked diff in the rear, and an open diff in the front. the axels are limiting to the max steering angle of about 35 degrees. I am trying to determine whether running full Ackermann or no Ackermann for steering. I have looked through many other forums talking about this debate, and found that being focused on uneven surfaces that the most steering angle is best, though some state that full Ackermann is best, while others state no Ackermann (parallel steering) is best. I am leading more towards the implementation of no Ackermann, but am welcome to other professionals expertise in this area.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I run straight arms but I set my double ended steering ram/steering link geometry up to give me a little bit of ackerman at half turn then back to zero at full lock. Seems to work well in the rocks and drives great in the dirt, Don't really drive it on the street much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run straight arms but I set my double ended steering ram/steering link geometry up to give me a little bit of ackerman at half turn then back to zero at full lock. Seems to work well in the rocks and drives great in the dirt, Don't really drive it on the street much.
I'm designing the steering using a Thin line steering rack, which makes my Ackermann to be whatever I set it too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts