Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has to be something i'm doing wrong b/c there are too many of you guys here that have had good luck with these springs. I just cant figure out what I did wrong. I just put a set of the 63" Chevy rears on my 89 Yota. I have the 4 leaf pack minus the over load. I'm running a single shackle that is 5in center to center from the mount on the chassis to the spring eye. Here's my problem. I get GREAT stuff/compression, but I'm getting almost no drop. Sitting static the shackles are at about a 45 degree angle from the frame( I read somewhere that is the best angle). I'd like to not go with the dual shackle if I can help it but from the way things are looking so far that looks like what i must do. I was hoping you guys would have some other suggestions of something to try or read something here in my current setup that's just wrong. Thanks in advance for the info.

What should my next step be??

(Let me know what other info I may have left out and I'll post more info)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Personally, I'd just wheel the damn thing. Flex isn't everything, and springs that don't wrap noticeably are nice. :)

Repeat: Flex isn't everything. But I'm sure you already knew that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
TNToy said:
Personally, I'd just wheel the damn thing. Flex isn't everything, and springs that don't wrap noticeably are nice. :)

Repeat: Flex isn't everything. But I'm sure you already knew that.
thats usually what people say that have no flex.. Just kidding..
Flex isnt everything true, but no droop? I dont have the answer on your springs cause thats not what I run, but I would stay away from some of the fall away suspensions like dual shackles. I had them and buggy leafs and threw them both in the trash..
good luck..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to mention my test were without shocks on so they wouldnt be stopping droop either.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Cut or bend up the clamp on the side of the spring that is facing the front of the truck. It is the one with the single clamp, not the two clamps. That helps a bit, see if you like them then. How are you testing these? Real world flex is different than a ramp.

·
Registered
986 Posts
how far forward did you weld your mount on. and did you change the rear shackle mount.. all the posts i have read say different and i want the axle in the stock location???? thanx for the help Dave.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
You need a longer shackle, the spring cannot droop all of the way out, with that short of a shackle. The shackle binds the spring up by not providing a long enough arc for the spring to move on..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wheel it! Ramp tests are :rainbow: anyways. Flex isn't the issue, its getting traction. Weld up those rear spiders if you're still open and GET IT!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Ditto on the shackle. Mine is 7" eye to eye and they have good droop, not as much as when I had dual shackles but I like the way it works now a lot better. Less wrap and it feels more stable on steep stuff. I set my bump stops 3" off the spring too, it works great.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
grind off the teeth on the metal insert for the bushings and don't tighten the too much. try a nylock nut. and like the guy above me open up the clamps. also cut the over load and put it back in to stop the reverse arch on the spring. chevy spring break just like any other spring.

·
Registered
137 Posts
make sure your brake line is long enough to let the axle droop too, i have a 5.5 inch shackle and i have good down travel, before i got new brake lines i had to strap the axle to the frame when i put it on a shop lift. sound dumb, but sometimes thats the kind of thing you don't notice right away

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Wilson said:
You need a longer shackle, the spring cannot droop all of the way out, with that short of a shackle. The shackle binds the spring up by not providing a long enough arc for the spring to move on..
I agree. Your shackles sound kinda short.
What angle are the current shackles at max droop?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
NO drop! so did your truck look like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Or was it more like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the ones of you that said "try a longer shackle". Was my orginal statement that the shackle works best if its 45 degrees from the frame static??? If I was correct with this statement when i make the longer shackles I will also have to move the shackle mount forward.

Also this was a "feild" test not a ramp test.

·
Registered
446 Posts
ROCKPIMP said:
Or was it more like this?
I wouldn't go around posting pics and bragging about flex or droop that your Chevie's have...my stock rears flexed at least that much.:p

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
jrussell said:
I wouldn't go around posting pics and bragging about flex or droop that your Chevie's have...my stock rears flexed at least that much.:p
Somebody missed the sarcasm bus... :shaking:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
jrussell said:

he was joking.... cool guy:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts