Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed a rear disc swap on my 85 4runner using sky's brackets, 82 monte carlo front calipers,83 fj40 m/c(auto zone) new(this is what all pro sells) and remaned. Front brakes are factory. Have bled the brakes numerous times. No bubbles. Took the remaned m/c off and put on the new m/c. Then removed the pressure cup on the rear brake line on the m/c. Still have soft brakes.

The lift is a 4.5 in superlift with 2in shackles and it has the bracket to raise the connection from the porportioning valve. I do not have a residual valve.

Should i ditch the fj40 m/c and go with the 89 v6 m/c?

Does the porportion valve need to be raised even more?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
With rear disc brakes, you really need to run a residual valve for the rear brakes. This will keep some pressure in the rear brake line and minimize pedal travel. Also All Pro sells an FJ80 master cyclinder and not an FJ40 one. The FJ80 MC has a 1" bore and has a built in rear residual valve. The 89 V6 MC will work but you still need a residual valve. I use an FJ80 MC and had to bench bleed it before installing and bleeding the rest of the brake system.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, where should I mount the residual valve? at the m/c? or near the rear brakes? It looks like I could use the Wildwood 2lb residual valve.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
noride said:
So, where should I mount the residual valve? at the m/c? or near the rear brakes? It looks like I could use the Wildwood 2lb residual valve.
i don't think it really matters,just pick an easy spot to get to and add it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
noride said:
83 fj40 m/c(auto zone) new(this is what all pro sells)
Uh, no it isnt. They sell a 93 FJ 80 no ABS MC. And it works great with your setup because yours is basically the same as mine.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
don't go to autozone. there is a jap parts store here in tucson that sells aisin fj80 mcs for $65. they are the same as factory, new not reman. with reservoir and everything. the only diff is the part number is milled off.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
remove the load control valve and all will be good if you mount a wilwood 2lb valve then it needs to be as close to the m/c as possiable. that residual valve is only needed if the m/c is lower then calipers ie: race car shit

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Are you sure you put the calipers on the correct sides? With G.M. calipers, this can be an easy mistake. The bleeders have to be at the very top of the caliper. If they are on the wrong sides you can trap air in the caliper that will not come out. Residual valves are usually for applications where the calipers are higher than the master cyl. like a race car. Adding one might help cover up the real problem, but isn't a proper fix.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
aaron t said:
don't go to autozone. there is a jap parts store here in tucson that sells aisin fj80 mcs for $65. they are the same as factory, new not reman. with reservoir and everything. the only diff is the part number is milled off.
What's their name and phone number? I'm looking for 89-93 v6 4x4 cast iron 1" bore master cylinder to use in my 81 with stock front discs and 88 rear axle and drums.

BTW, may go with ifs calipers/vented fj40 rotors up front and rear discs at a later date but saving $ for now. The local yota dealer wants way too much for a new m/c and I don't want an A-1 Cardone POS from kragen auto.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, don't get that fawkin' Cardone bs! I had to replace my m/c about a month ago, decided to go w/that pos and after I got everything bolted up, the godammed front brake line wouldn't screw into the housing! The flared end of the line wouldn't go in far enough because them idiots didn't press the fitting into the housing far enough. Ended up paying for the Raybestos version-no problem but friggin' expensive! On top of all this, the mgr. at Kragen tries to play it off like its my fault for not asking for the right part. He tells me that its because the unit I got is only for non-power brake versions of '87 4X4 toyotas. WTF?!?!?!
Here's to you Kragen! :flipoff:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
...On top of all this, the mgr. at Kragen tries to play it off like its my fault for not asking for the right part. He tells me that its because the unit I got is only for non-power brake versions of '87 4X4 toyotas. WTF?!?!?!
Here's to you Kragen! :flipoff:

Hahahaha, where did toyota sell this non-power braked version??? I hear ya.

BTW, was the raybestos unit any good? Did it come with reservoir and is it alumimun or steel? And which application did you buy, fj or 89-93 v6 pickup?

Also would the version that allpro sells be ok with my rear drums or will the built in residual valve fawk my shit up? as in worn out rear shoes and burned up drums? Don't want to buy a new master cylinder twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts