Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I posted anywhere on POR, looking at replacing my fj60. There seems to be a plethoria of Discoverys for sale on CL in the 3000-5000k range. (94-97)

I had been conciderring a FJ80, but with the current fuel prices, 13 mpg is not that appealing.

So any disco input? what sort of mpg's do you get.

Are they owner friendly to maintain?

What to look out for in the used market?

If this is the wrong fourm flame away :flipoff:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had been conciderring a FJ80, but with the current fuel prices, 13 mpg is not that appealing.
So you're looking at Discos?!
Yea, that extra 1/2 mpg ought to save a bundle. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
on the other hand, the 4k you save buying the disco instead of the toyota can be spent on mods that make it as reliable and capable, after you add another 4k on top of the original 4k.
fixed it
fixed it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
r
Been a long time since I posted anywhere on POR, looking at replacing my fj60. There seems to be a plethoria of Discoverys for sale on CL in the 3000-5000k range. (94-97)

So any disco input? what sort of mpg's do you get.

Are they owner friendly to maintain?

What to look out for in the used market?

If this is the wrong fourm flame away :flipoff:

Shit Id be happy to get 13mpg or 3k! I just sold my wifes 94 D1 in clean shape (a little rust and 159k, but new mud tires, and a rack) for 2100. Keep your eyes peeled and good rigs are out there cheap. I personally prefer the 94-95s. Good ole 3.9 is tried and true. Yeah they leak fluids, the electrical do dads are problematic, they rust (door jams, top windows, floors, sills etc), and like the wrench but if taken care of they will run forever. My trail rigs motor has over 300K (ok it smokes a bit!) and the wifes old D1 spit out 145-150lbs per cylinder at 159K! Gordo

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
"Are they owner friendly to maintain?"

ahahahaha!!!
Actually, I think they are one of the easiest vehicles to work on I've ever owned.
They truly are engineered to be fixed in the middle of the Sahara with a screwdriver and vice grips.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
they become friendly to maintain. i had an ex-wife with a handful of eating disorders and she ran off with the next door neighbor.

she was friendly to maintain too.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
maybe take it easy with the angry flip off too.

i have a disco I. i love and hate it. i get 12.5 mpg out of it and it constantly finds new reasons to overheat.

you will love it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Actually, I think they are one of the easiest vehicles to work on I've ever owned.
They truly are engineered to be fixed in the middle of the Sahara with a screwdriver and vice grips.
What ? A Disco ?? With GEMS ???

:roxy:

That's one hell of a screwdriver you got there...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What ? A Disco ?? With GEMS ???

:roxy:

That's one hell of a screwdriver you got there...
I've been working on cars for over 30 years.
I've always complained that engineers should be forced to work on the *&%#* they design for 2 years before they are allowed back at the drawing board.
It'd drastically change how cars are designed.

After working on both an '03 and a '97 for a couple years it's as if LR engineers have done that.

Do a brake job on an American car and then do one on a Disco.
My last Disco brake job took 20 minutes.
All four.
Replacing a stupid blinker bulb on an American car can get you cussing.
10 seconds on a Disco (no cussing).

Sure, it's 2008 and computers make all engine repairs a PITA but I'll take working on my Rover over most anything else out there.

Engineering seems to be done well at LR.

Now Quality Control, Parts Procurement, and Assembly?
Not so much. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
they are staightforward vehicles to maintain.

oh and with a 4" lift heavy steering rods and 33's I'm gettin about 11-13 combined city and highway.

yeah I drive like a grandma sometimes :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
maybe take it easy with the angry flip off too.

i have a disco I. i love and hate it. i get 12.5 mpg out of it and it constantly finds new reasons to overheat.

you will love it.
Whoops, I meant :flipoff2: anyway, thanks for all the input. Gonna keep shopping

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I'm with ya Brad, second only to a breaker point SBC with a carburetor:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts