Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
How about TDS? :flipoff2:

OK, what about some topics such as:

Motor swaps (i.e 6cyl to v8, etc)
Rear suspension mods (i.e inboarding springs, coilover installs, shackle flips, etc)
Engine mods/combo (i.e carb/intake/cam combos that seem to work, etc)

Am I even on the right path? Is this the sort of stuff you are talking about? I guess I'll head over to another tech forum and see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How about FAQ's. We could make a data base sticky of frequently asked questions, or common modifications and put it at the top. Ideas such as 1 ton running gear swap into other vehicles, drivetrain swaps, measurements of running gears, axle size and spline counts, spring overs, shackle flips, yadda yadda yadda. Just a thought in the dark.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Increasing articulation?

Maybe a walk through/ parts list for common conversions(14 disc swap, cross over) and any problems associated?

A vary general tire guide, we get way to many of those questions.

Charlo

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I like the FAQ idea:

14 bolt Disc Brakes
Swaping out 700r4
Swaping out a 203 for a 205
Doubler T-cases
Twinstick your 205
Tranny mods
Engine mods
Shackle Flips
Increasing Articulation - Spring mods, longer shackles
Dana 60 Front Swaps
Fender Cutting - Extreme hacking, not trimming the lip off to fit 35's on a 4" lift
Roll Cages
Fuel Tank replacement - Converting to a blazer tank
Welding the 14 bolt
Rocker protection
Cadillac Engine Swaps
Part Numbers
Crossover Steering
Etc

Questions about link suspensions should go in the general forum IMHO. Since they can relate to any type of rig. :D

·
Premium Member
23,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright now were talkin'!!!!! :bounce2:

So far we've got almost 6 months worth of topics. Keep the ideas coming, we'll get this forum jumping yet!

·
Registered
214 Posts
While we're on the subjects of suspension, etc. Why not roll cages, designs and materials. Also:
Radiator relocation
Safety harness install with internal cage
Onboard Air
Recovery tools/techniques
Fuel Injection swaps
Carburetor install/tune/tricks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
1) Electrical Mods - I just got through with a complete rewire. Info on schematics, relay usage, switches, etc. would be cool.

2) Torque Improving Mods - Try to avoid "Stick a big block" in it.

3) Frame improvements - Like brooks plating. New cross members under the engine. Even trany/case cross member designs.

4) Cage designs - Not general cage stuff, but cool "features" to consider. For instance, I've never seen one like mine where the a-pillar bar is just outside the windshield frame (no doors). Protects the windshield like an exo without adding to the width of an already too wide rig... Also, rather than connecting the cage to the frame, I hulled out the "C" sheet metal under the floor and replaced with a 1/4" sub frame still using the isolators. Cage mounts to that, and the GM fire wall/floor/cowl basically just bolt inside the cage (might also go in #3 above).

5) Body mods. Narrowed hoods, cut core supports, angled radiators to get more visibility, grafted in lights. Cut fenders are the obvious entry point, but might get some good stuff?

6) Relocated shocks for extreme travel?

7) Non stock springs? Maybe one on leafs, another on links, qtr-ellip, etc.?

8) Solutions for Death Wobble?

9) How/where do you carry spare parts (and tools?) ?

10) Custom skids and protection?

11) Better cooling for the engine/trans, etc.?

Yeah, some may be lame, hard to keep focused, etc. Just somethings that occurred to my tired, half alcohol soaked brain late at night. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
487 Posts
All these ideas are great but,, I would like the first topic to about safety ,The reason I say this is because Ive seen to many people put money in there rigs but none of it went into safety. Im even guilty of these myself.. I rolled with my son in the truck the other day at hollister And thank god I had my cage.. Safety should be the first topic!! Damn I didnt see how old this post was!
Roll cages
Securing things
Power cutoffs
Proper seat belts
etc etc

·
Registered
518 Posts
yea im likeing all the FAQ ideas id really like to do one on TBI and TPI setups Chevy guys as well as all those swappers would love that i know i would

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've got a few ideas.

1. Full hydro/hydro assist steering, DIY style.
2. Solid axle conversions on IFS rigs.
3. Homemade flatbeds/tube beds for fullsize rigs.
4. Homemade dash panels.
5. Body swaps (Pickup cab on K5 frame, etc.)
6. In cab rollcages that have the a-pillar tubes going through the dash.
7. Homemade spare tire mounts.
8. Ways to lighten up a fullsize rig without turning it into a buggy.
9. Mega-flex suspensions on a budget.
10. Different ways to carry your spares, tools, and recovery gear without sacrificing a whole lot of space.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.