Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the last couple days my 400 has broke the roll pin that holds the drive gear on the distributor. the cam gear is fine and the distributor spins free, but its done it twice in the last 2 days. oil pumps seem to be working also. so i'm stumped

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
put a socket on the oil pump shaft, spin it counter clockwise IRC. Once the oil pressure picks up, it will be difficult to turn, but prioir, it should move easily. If there is lots of drag, I would look at the oil pump as your culprit.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
it has to be the oil pump
I would drop the pan to see what is going on
the factory nylon timing chain teeth are always in the pan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just assembled the motor a month ago with an aftermarket steel timing chain. the oil pump is older so i'll try it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cold it hits 80psi, operating temp its at 25psi. thats at idle.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The cold pressure seems pretty damn high. What kind of pump is it though, stock, high pressure? OEM ford oil pumps are notorious for having lots of problems...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oem ford pump. but it only break the roll pin when its warm

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds like the shaft on the distributor is worn out and no longer an interfernece fit. So now it is placing all of the load on the roll pin which was not designed to take the load. Either get a new distributor, new distributor shaft, or take yours apart and knurl the shaft where the gear rides so the gear has some friction holding it in place again.

Parts store rebuilt distributors are prone to this problem.

If it was the oil pump it would lock up and stay locked up or lock up and not do it again.

One other option I have seen is people in a hurry or too many beers in them while assembling the engine and forgot the camshaft retaining plate. This allows the cam to walk back and forth jamming the cam gear and distributor gear together breaking the roll pin. Normally the gears will still look fine, people drop another roll pin in and get a bit further down the road and it happens again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was the distributor. but the night it happened it was dark. my light was half dead, but thanks for all your advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts