Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were the Dana 20 or 21 T-cases ever available as a divorce mount? Is there any way of bolting on an input shaft housing and yoke from any other T-case that uses a drivehaft (in other words, divorced) input?

I'm trying to figure an easy way to adapt a 2wd ZF 5-spd trans to a Bronco Dana 20. If I can find an input yoke for a D20, I can run it divorced and use a really short driveshaft from the yoke on the ZF to the yoke on the D20.

Yeah, I know there's an adapter for the 4wd version of the ZF, but damn, those things are expensive. 2wd ZF's are about half the price of the 4wd's.

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Im not sure about the dana 20... but the dana 21 was available divorce mounted in older ford pickups. I think the 21 is also a single speed case though, no low range.

·
Vendor
720 Posts
early mini-truck conversions used a divorced dana 20, they were pass drop but the inputs should be the same? i've got one if you need any parts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I have a divorce adapter for a passenger drop 20. Won't help you with a Bronco 20.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Ford used the divorced Dana 24 (2-spd) in 72-older F250s... and even F100 if you go back far enough ('65-older maybe?)

GM used the mirrored version - the Dana 23 - in some of the late 50's NAPCO conversions. I had a '57 Carryall with one.

The Dana 21 is a single-speed married type that Ford used... 66-75-ish perhaps?

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Encouraging news..

Hey, thanks for all the quick replies.

Things are looking brighter - now that I know some of the rice-burners had some divorced D20's, I can search around for one of those.

My plan (if you could call it that ) is to either grab one of those "T100a" cases or a divorced D21 and see if the front input shaft housing will bolt up to a stock Bronco D20 case to give me a driveshaft yoke input for it. I'll mount the Bronco D20 as a divorced case on a fabricated crossmember and have a very short custom shaft made to run from the rear yoke of a 2wd ZF to the D20 input yoke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts