Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know the opions of you all on TC's. Which one do you like and why?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
on a DD rig married units work best (unless you have ultra high lift) they dont suffer from the vibrations caused by out of phase drive shafts at highway speeds

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a married 205, mates right up. I think it's easier to deal with just b/c there's less to deal with. I try to use the K.I.S.S. therory as much as possible and keep it simple.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
For simplicity, a mated setup is probably best. If you have a long enough wheelbase to use a divorced setup, it can open up a lot more options as far as drivetrain setup. For example, you can put the transfer case in the exact center of the rig, so that the front a rear driveshafts are the exact same length and you get the best possible U-joint angle for both. Plus the shafts will swap and you only need to carry one, if you need a spare. Also, you can lower just the transfer case to improve angles, but since it's in the center, you can still keep a decent breakover angle. Naturally you can move the engine and transmission back in a mated setup to gain the centered case, but that can't normally be done in most non-buggy rigs because of firewall issues and interior intrusion of the engine. It's all in what you want, but the intermediate shaft between the transmission and transfer case can be phased properly, just like any other shaft, to eliminate vibration. I have 3 divorced transfer case trucks, and wouldn't trade them for anything. Again, it's personal preference, and both setups have advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. The rig i am starting to gather parts for to build is an ext cabb s10. Going to be a Mud/trail rig (Bout all their is in central FL (havent seen a real rock since i left NY. ) I know not what most of you here run.

It is going to sit on 44's and one tones, sb for power and an auto.

I am liking the fact that a divorce case put no additional stress on the the tranny, and that i can adjust the drive shaft length like you said.

On say a divorce 205 is their any strength difference than a married.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The divorced tranfer-case is as strong as the married version of the same case. Of course, there are two more U-joints to fail, though they see less force than the driveshaft u-joints as they only see the transmission output torque, not the torque multiplication of the transfer-case low-range.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after reading and searching i know alot of dodge stuff is very simmalar to the chevy stuff. What are the differences between a Dodge and chevy Divorce NP205?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
mostly all dodge divorced 205's are 32 spline inputs and outputs, i like the divorced 205, i am setting one in my buggy now beacuse i want to run a 4.3/4L60 combo and found it easyer to join the two together.

i will simply run a 1350 U-joint on the tail shaft and put 90% of the tail shaft on the slip yoke and join the case's "yoke to yoke", i have it set now but need to move it back a little, i am trying to make it so i have one driveshaft length front and rear, im close but need to tweek it a little, jason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts