Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea for some time now and just been waiting on the opportunity. I want to put a divorced 205 behind my stock 4.0 5-spd BW1350 combo in my 1995 Ranger. the truck is extended cab so d-shft angles won't be effected by the swap. I would just have to cut off the front output on the stock t-case and make it hold fluid and use it as a crawler box.

My question is...am i stupid, or would this be a feasable swap? Or is this gonna be just 2 more ujoints to explode.

I searched and didn't really find squat.

Also, any thing that i should closely inspect on the 205 before i actually lay down the $200 for the t-case

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I'm going to do the samething on my ranger if the doubler my friend is making isn't completed in time for me.

On my reg cab the gas tank is an issue... I think it might still be on a ext cab since it's a bigger tank?

my friend 'wacko' in this picture runs a divorced 205 behind a 5.0/c4/d20 combo. I wish i had a pic of the u-joints, but it's basically a ujoint to a bolt on flange bolted to another flange to a u-joint to the 205, there is no intermittent driveshaft. They're flanges just like what's found on the end of a ranger driveline at the 8.8 He runs 42's and does not drive nice :evil: and it hasn't broken in the 2+ years it's been used.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danger,

you couldn't score any close ups of the crossmember and skidplate and flange deal could you?

That...that...that would kick ass.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on now guys, you mean among all you web wheelers, nobody has anything else to say about this idea of mine?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Rockranger,

I did this using a Jeep Dana 20 which has the passenger side front output, which means you need to have a passenger side pumpkin on the front axle. I was able to retain my stock gas tank with the t-case mounted at the right angle. I used a short (6") slip-shaft between the existing and new t-cases because they are mounted on separate crossmembers. Sorry I don't have a pic of the slip-shaft, but follow this link to see some pics of the crossmember and divorced t-case.

http://www.grapeapedesign.com/Transformation.htm

New pictures coming soon!

You don't need to cut off the front output on the existing t-case. Just leave it alone. It's not in the way and won't hit anything.

Dean

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grape Ape,

1st. I was gonna cut because the T-case i have my eye on would be off a ford, and that way i could keep my current straight axle (D-side pumpkin) under the truck w/out having to go passenger side pumpkin.

2nd. I have watched your truck through the whole buildup and love what you have done with it. Keep it up.

3rd. Any chance on getting closeup pictures of how you cut the fenders.

Thanks alot

Opie

·
Registered
249 Posts
I gotcha! I understand about not wanting to change front axles!

I'll see what I can do for pics of the fenders. Nothing really special. Put tape on fender, draw a line to indicate the cutoff mark, cut about 1/2" below that. Bend up the leftover edge for a smooth surface. Better yet would be to weld a small diameter pipe to the underside of the lip for a cleaner look and for strength. For looks, just try to make the cut in tangent with the wheel opening. This way it doesn't look as hacked up as other fender trims that I've seen. I cut mine with the flares still on, but it would be better to take them off first, and cut them separately.

Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts