Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I know you guys have seen this topic a few times but I promise this is different. I’ve searched a bunch for info on this and actually found a solution so I thought I’d post it. I found a company that makes 271 planetary doubler kits (and similar other things). Well they just came out with a divorced adapter for their doubler so I talked with them and it will work on a standard 271 as well. They quoted me $450 for the adapter with a 1410 ubolt style yoke for a 32 spline input case. The adapter isn’t on their site yet so here is the post from FB for anyone interested right now.

https://behemothdrivetrain.com/collections/all

I’m going to use this setup in my 05 duramax SAS in the next year or so and I’ll update this with a review and pictures as soon as I can get that far in my build.

I don’t have any affiliation with the company but I know this is info that at least a few people on here have wanted in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang I see that now. I shoulda known finding something like that at that price was to good to be true. Looks like he might be getting better, maybe. Well if I end up risking it I’ll be sure to report back on what happens.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think the old topkick\kodiak 4x4s used a divorced 273 and while I'm not 100% I think that input will fit a 271. I know thats not exactly going to be common to find laying around but might be a part you can still pickup if you can figure out the part #

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah from what I have read on the kodiak case the input has been discontinued and I as of yet haven’t seen a part number. I was thinking about just finding a yoke/shaft combo that’ll fit in the input and then get the shaft turned down to fit and weld it. From what I can tell that would basically be what was used for the divorced case input

·
Registered
508 Posts
ah ok I didnt know they were disco'd. The one you posted pic of just looks like a splined shaft that has a snap ring groove to retain it and the bearing retainer also keeps the shaft from pulling out due to that snap ring. I would have to wonder if it would allow too much wobble and eat seals\bearings.

I have a 04 yukon XL 2500 I want to sas and keep looking at different T-case options since I have the auto trac at moment and while its nice for the wife I hate the electric BS & have already put too much $$ in.

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Too bad NWF wouldn't make that setup, since they actually ship products... would be handy for a lot of weird applications.

With Behemoth making it, well, it just as well not exist.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Does anyone actually have a pic of a 271/273 actually installed in a Kodiak/Topkick?

All these "bolt a cover with a bearing in it where the transmission usually goes" type adapters look fine for getting power into the case but they don't actually mount the case in the vehicle and obviously an aluminum case is going to be kind of sensitive about how you do that so it would be nice to see what a bunch of engineers with fancy simulation tools thought was acceptable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a pic the other day but I can’t find it now. This is the closest I could get. Basically it’s just a flat ring on the front and then a bracket that goes under 2 of the case bolts on the top.

The adapter I originally mentioned has a second bearing that supports the yoke to eliminate the side loads and is why I was looking at it (if only it was from someone that actually makes their products). But from what I can tell the kodiak case doesn’t change anything from a normal 271 except have a male spline instead of female on the input shaft/gear

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was planning on a crossmember/small skid that would have a similar ring at the front and then something similar to that other little brace on the bottom in 1 or 2 bolts just to avoid the case “hangin” off the ring so I could avoid needing to add so much strength. I was going to set the ring up to take all the rotational load since it’s how the case was designed to work. I guess at that point it wouldn’t be hard to mount a carrier barring and then build a short shaft with splines on the end out of something like the ford output shaft from whatever trans had the 271 attached to it (its a crew cab so I got space to work with).

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I found a pic the other day but I can’t find it now. This is the closest I could get. Basically it’s just a flat ring on the front and then a bracket that goes under 2 of the case bolts on the top.

The adapter I originally mentioned has a second bearing that supports the yoke to eliminate the side loads and is why I was looking at it (if only it was from someone that actually makes their products). But from what I can tell the kodiak case doesn’t change anything from a normal 271 except have a male spline instead of female on the input shaft/gear

4 18 34 are the three point mounts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holly $hit! It’s cool they actually still exist but for that I could probably just buy a new input of my choosing, send it to someone and say I want a 1410 yoke on this and come out way cheaper.

Or take the picture of the above adapter and have someone else make it for me for probably more like 5-600 and i actually get the parts when I’m done. Or just call it a day and use a divorced 205... but I’ve been avoiding that partially for a little more strength, partly bc I can find 271s easier, and partially because I like making life harder for myself

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do. So, does anyone know enough about ford trannies to know if the 2wds have the same spline count? Trying to figure out if I could cut down a output shaft/yoke and use it as a stub shaft to save me from having to get a custom shaft machined or maybe chopping up a pinion from a axle

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The case halves are different, too. They have extended bosses and through holes where the mounts are supposed to go. Take that into account when you convert one.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do. So, does anyone know enough about ford trannies to know if the 2wds have the same spline count? Trying to figure out if I could cut down a output shaft/yoke and use it as a stub shaft to save me from having to get a custom shaft machined or maybe chopping up a pinion from a axle

It depends on what your NVG input has. There are three inputs. One of them is the 31spl that tons of stuff, including a lot of 2wd transmissions, uses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was planning on using a 31 spline from behind a ford auto since dodges have a slip yoke rear. Then see if I could find a ford 2wd auto that’s junk that I could pull the tail shaft and yoke from. So I basically wanted to be sure enough to convince the wife it’s time to spend another Saturday poking around at the pull a part since I’m lucky/unlucky enough to have a wife that will go with me lol

The case halves are different, too. They have extended bosses and through holes where the mounts are supposed to go. Take that into account when you convert one.
Ok thanks, that’s info I have yet to be able to find a answer on. I’ll have to just go find a case so I can start looking it over so I can start getting my mount plans nailed down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts