Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know... Do a search..

Tell you what, you do a search on "beadlock" and tell me how many hits you get. My eyes went fuzzy after 10 mins of looking.

So, to cut to the chase. I need a set of DIY beadlock kits for 17" aluminum wheels. Any vendors available?

Pricing???

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
I need one 17" bead lock for a Spare to my TRs

The kits I'm finding plus the cost of the wheel are equal or more than a already done wheel like Walker Evans or TR ect.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Aluminum, you're outta luck for a DIY kit. I've got steel on the shelf, but aluminum more than doubles the cost (which puts the kit price near the cost of a complete steel beadlock wheel) because the aluminum can't be plaz'd like the steel can.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Scout said:
I need one 17" bead lock for a Spare to my TRs

The kits I'm finding plus the cost of the wheel are equal or more than a already done wheel like Walker Evans or TR ect.
Well, I've got the advantage of the wheels coming for the price of about $50 apiece.

How you may ask... well it's complicated, but I've got time.

I own a dodge 1/2 ton with the 17" premium wheels on it. It is for sale. It needs new tires.

I figure with the monumentally shitty used car market these days, I am not going to lose any $$ if I put a set of black rockcrawlers on it with some 33" AT's and keep the wheels that are on it.

I'd have to buy tires anyway, and the price of a set of brand new 33" all terrains and black rockcrawlers will actually be cheaper than the $185 apiece for the stock wrangler GSA tires.

I know that steel beadlock kits go for $90 or so a corner, I am hoping that aluminum ones will be in the same neighborhood (+/- 50%)

I figure if I can get the wheels / tires for the 1/2 ton for $700 or so, and the beadlocks setup on my wheels for $400 or so, I am set, and I'll have something different.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aluminum, you're outta luck for a DIY kit. I've got steel on the shelf, but aluminum more than doubles the cost (which puts the kit price near the cost of a complete steel beadlock wheel) because the aluminum can't be plaz'd like the steel can.
Can't be plasma cut??? Why not? Ever tried it? It cuts it about like a bandsaw would. You'd still have to drill for all the holes and stuff though.

I've got a call into a machinist buddy of mine to see if he can do it.

If he can, is there any interest in me making more than 1 set? Anybody else in the market?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Champion can beadlock your wheels for you but i dont think they will sell you the pieces. looks like rings are $75 or about $175 installed kinda high but maby you could use their ring

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip on the AL rings.

I am noticing that all the vendors seem to sell them with nuts and bolts, instead of threaded / helicoiled holes in the beadlock. Is there a reason for this other than the danger of damaging the threads?

I need to get prices on a sheet of aluminum. I may end up just making them.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
foley said:
Can't be plasma cut??? Why not? Ever tried it? It cuts it about like a bandsaw would. You'd still have to drill for all the holes and stuff though.
Maybe I should've phrased that differently.

The CNC shop that does the steel rings for us, won't feed aluminum to the machine, because the aluminum plasma slag gums up the works.

They're so cheap on steel, that it's relatively insanely expensive to have aluminum machined on a one-off basis.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Maybe I should've phrased that differently.

The CNC shop that does the steel rings for us, won't feed aluminum to the machine, because the aluminum plasma slag gums up the works.

They're so cheap on steel, that it's relatively insanely expensive to have aluminum machined on a one-off basis.
I understand, that makes a lot more sense. I have heard a lot of people try to tell my that they "can't plasma cut aluminum" just because they have never tried it. It really works very well. I didn't think you could fall into that category, but you had me wondering for a minute there!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
MRT has them

800 643 3625 Tell them Ken sent you.

120/$150 depending on 20 or 40 bolts.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: MRT has them

Go2Guy said:
800 643 3625 Tell them Ken sent you.

120/$150 depending on 20 or 40 bolts.
Just called them, REALLY helpful guy.. I talked to Brent. I am working with a local machinist to see if he can make them. If not, or if the material will cost too much, I'll be making a purchase here shortly.

Thanks for all the tips

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
workin on it...

call them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts