Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,277 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but you have created a glorified limit switch.

(Didn't watch the whole vid so I may be a :homer: )

I have a Model 32 with full hydro and I don't see any time savings over it.

Both require a person to be there: Loading, lining up tube, hitting button, moving/indexing/removing tube.

· Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, you're missing a bit more. A limit switch has to be moved to the desired angle. With this conversion, there's an HMI, a PLC an encoder and a pressure sensor. The operator punches in the desired angle on the HMI and presses the start button. The PLC reads the position of the bender via the encoder and moves the bender to the desired angle and stops. There is also a spring back compensation in the HMI that can be programmed by the operator. Once at the desired angle, simply press the return button and hold it down to move to a desired position or press it twice in rapid succession to have it automatically return to the home position.
There is ALSO an automatic calibration mode. It works like this. Every time you put a tube in the bender, your zero point is where the wiper has all the tension it can have against the tube without physically distorting the tube. Finding that sweet spot every time you make a bend by hand is tough. So, the PLC has an 'Auto calibration' mode where it will set the start point of the bend based on the pressure inside the hydraulic cylinder. I just did a bunch of 14ga 1.5 square tubing and the auto calibration pressure was 250 psi. It would be more for heavier material and less for thinner stuff. Figuring out the right pressure is fairly easy. There's a window in the HMI where you can watch the pressure climb inside the cylinder as you bend in manual mode.
I know it sounds a bit over engineered, but it really does remove a significant amount of operator error, especially on large volume bending. It also makes things infinitely faster.

I snooped on your instagram, btdubbs. Looks like you guys build some good looking bumpers!
Thanks.

The other good thing you've done is a one shot 90.

The factory jd2 model 32 hydraulics does only 45 in one shot.

What you've done is interesting as you've described it, and I don't want to be a hater :flipoff2: , because I couldn't design/program any of that...

But business wise I don't see you selling many and I also don't see a big time savings at all when considering total time when dealing with tube (marking/ loading/unloading/general handling).

There is a benefit from me or my employees not paying attention and overshooting the mark. :homer:

I see the model 32 as a great bang for the buck bender...but if I were bending tube everyday for 'production' it wouldn't be a model 32.

I've farmed out 'big' bending jobs.

Once you get a good sample bend with the 32 and the pointer is set you can do multiples without worrying about 'finding the sweet spot'.

Maybe I'm wrong. I wish you luck. We have several 'mad scientist' or 'awesome machinist' types here on pirate who build really cool tools.

Check out some of stuff that ZAG builds, for example:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/951950-homemade-hydraulic-chain-driven-bender.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.