Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Granite Guru
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there that understands this system and can explain what all would be needed to make it work, please do.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

From what I gather, you'd need a Throttle Body, MAP sensor, coolant and air intake temp sensors, and an O2 sensor. You use their plans to build the controller yourself. Worth it? How cheaply could a complete system be built for?
 

·
IH/Rover Moderator
Joined
·
20,917 Posts
It looks kinda cool, but it is a speed-density setup. A Map system doesn't hold a candle to a Mass air system. Ask anybody that drives an early Ford with EFI. I asked my local computer nerd and it looks like the parts will be cheap as hell. What does Pick and pull get for a TB? You build yours first, then I will try it. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/fj.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Old Scout ]
 

·
IH/Rover Moderator
Joined
·
20,917 Posts
OK Realsquash it looks like the aftermarket has started to tweak the problems out of a MAP system. I will hold my statment because every EFI worth a dam now a days is mass air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Originally posted by BenW:
<STRONG>Anybody out there that understands this system and can explain what all would be needed to make it work, please do.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

From what I gather, you'd need a Throttle Body, MAP sensor, coolant and air intake temp sensors, and an O2 sensor. You use their plans to build the controller yourself. Worth it? How cheaply could a complete system be built for?</STRONG>
This is awesome thanks for the post <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I have always been interested in how this stuff works and what it has to monitor in excruciatingly boring detail <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> Seriously It is good reading <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> I am also kind of considering attempting to do that project but I am not too good at electronics engineering (soldering and making all that tiny stuff) I am not too good at reading schematics either <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"> But I am thinking about making this setup... I am going ot shoot an e-mail to them too. Seriously killer find thanks Ben <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Granite Guru
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is anyone out there who can build these things, I might be interested in trying to put one together. If it could be done cheaply I think quite a few techy type wheelers might be interested.

anybody know what junkyard throttle body I could use on a 472?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Originally posted by BenW:
<STRONG>

anybody know what junkyard throttle body I could use on a 472?</STRONG>
Maybe one off a 454SS 1/2 ton chevy? I would think any 600+ cfm bodies should do... My GMC w/ a 305 is rated for like 500 or 550 cfm... I want a TB and intake for my 258 <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I wonder what I could steal that setup from besides a heep?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Originally posted by Old Scout:
<STRONG>OK Realsquash it looks like the aftermarket has started to tweak the problems out of a MAP system. I will hold my statment because every EFI worth a dam now a days is mass air.</STRONG>
OK, I'm not in a mood for arguing, but your logic is wrong. If you are lazy and want to put up with decent performance, go with a MAF system stock. If you want to tweak it to run perfectly on your non-stock engine, go wtih a SD and tune it. There is no voodoo magic to a MAF system or SD system, but when it comes to tuning I would take SD over MAF in a heartbeat.

Squash
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top