Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with a small project resulting in a toggle switch in the dash to control my idle speed (350 TBI)

Used info from this site....

http://members.fbody.com/RCowan99SSConv/stepper2.html

bought the kit from ramsey and went to work....
Took longer than expected (as most jeep projects do)..
first time soldering components on a circuit board...
Good learning experience... (increased my knowledge of my TBI system)
Total cost was about $55 -vs- the gadget advertised in the mags for $149...

Can't wait to try it out on the trail... Now I will have "crawl control" and can bump my idle way up to get max air out of the OBA system...

There is some misleading info in the instructions , if anyone is interested in doing this I'll post more details and perhaps save folks some troubleshooting time...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds interesting... I'd like to see more...

Why not just use a cable though??? (I have don't have either one, just throwing out a question...)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Interesting idea, but I don't like the fact that it removes IAC control from the ECM. Now I think it would be cool if you could run normal with IAC position controlled by the ECM and then when you wanted to manually control the idle, flip a switch to manual mode and then adjust idle speed for OBA, OBW or whatever. Until somebody figures this out, I'll just stick with vernier cable for a hand throttle. Hell, just having EFI on an IH is already sort of high tech redneck.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
I've often wondered why no one's set up an A/C idle kick up solenoid. It wouldn't be as adjustable ad a cable but it would be pretty simple to have it set to give you 3000 RPM at the flip of a switch.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know on the GM ecm's the ecm kicks up the idle a certain number of 'steps' of the Air idle control stepper motor when the a/c is turned on... Actually whenever there is 12volts on a certain pin (have to look up which one)...
The value is programmable, so you could have it bump up the idle as much as you want....

BUT... I wanted it adjustable on the fly...

·
Registered
363 Posts
ForestCam said:
I've often wondered why no one's set up an A/C idle kick up solenoid. It wouldn't be as adjustable ad a cable but it would be pretty simple to have it set to give you 3000 RPM at the flip of a switch.
I did on my LPG set up.When you start them cold they idle to low so the solenoid was connected and viola.Once warm it was at about 1500 but you could go higher if wanted.Get one out of an old early to mid eighties Ford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts