Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take one old oil drum, cut it in half long ways. Build a frame to cover the top out of some scrap 1" angle iron (or what ever). Make sure to use the half that has the bung in it, so you can drain the tank out to change the fluid. Then use some old scrap expanded metal in the bottom to keep your clean parts out of the sediment that seperates out.

I made the pivot out of some 1.5" sch 80 pipe, some oilite drill bushings (available from McMaster, or the like) and some 1.25" Cold Rolled 1018 bar stock. The cover fits snug over the frame, to seal off the tank from sparks and what not, and is constructed from 16ga mild steel, and some 3/4" MDF to add strength for using it as a seat or whatever.

I installed 4 setscrews per bushing to keep the bushing from rotating inside the pipe, rather than the rod rotating inside the bushings. They also hold the bushings all to one side of the pipe, so that they dont bind on the rod.

I made the brackets with some 2 by 3 x 3/16 scrap I had left over from building the table a few months ago.

I forgot to mention the 1-1/4 washer I welded on the bottom of the pipe. (you can kinda see it on one of the pictures) It provides increased thrust surface area between the pipe and the lower bracket. I was going to make one out of bronze, but that would be something that the general shop guy would have a difficult time coming up with unless he had a lathe.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
BG,
that is awsome :beer:
I like how its mounted under the vise also.

Is it mounted on a slight angle so when you pull the plug all the fluid drains out easier?

How about some more shots of the entire workbench, looks cool.

Since the bench is on wheels you could also wheel the thing outside, clean out solvent, fill with briquettes, throw a larger piece of grating on, and grill up some salmon and moose when company comes over :D

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Very nice ! Im still using the 5 gal bucket method.. Ya more pics of the entire shop !

I can always grab an idea or two from other peoples shops...

-mike

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is actually mounted on a slight angle in the opposite direction, so that when its full of solvent, it will sit level. The bung isnt close enough to get clear to the bottom, so you would have to tip it on a 20* angle to get most of the solvent out. Im keeping my eye out for a small sump pump to install in the tank, so that I can have one of those nice brushes that flow solvent through them.

I dont have any close up pictures, but I tack welded 2" long pieces of 1/4" Dia round bar along the edge of the grate. This holds the grate from sliding around when your washing heavier parts, but still allows you to remove the grate for cleaning the bottom of the tank. It just kinda pops in there. Worked out really good.

I'd also like to add a small shelf on the end closest to the bench vice, for storing all the little misc brushes and stuff that seem to accumulate in a solvent tank.

Stay tuned, its a work in progress.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The top of the table is 1/4 A36 steel plate. Underneath it is a structure fabricated from 2x3x3/16 rec tube. The legs are 3"x 1/8" square tube. The casters are JUNK I bought from home depot, but they were cheap, and after spending ~500 bucks on the steel for the table, they were all I could afford.

The shelf underneath is made from 1x3/16 angle and some expanded metal. Next time I will use 2".

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not to nitpick as I DO like the idea of a swing out parts washer, and intend to think of adding this down the road, 22x24 dont have too much room to spare.

With the weight of fluid, and say a cylinder head (a happy medium as far as parts go) to wash, isnt there a need for a support at the far end with the drum or somewhat flexing? Removable maybe??

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, no need for a support. Im 250 lbs or more with my boots and coveralls on, and I can sit out on the end, and still swing it around just fine, and not distort the tank.

Now that you mention it though, there is a piece of 1/8" plate welded onto the end of the drum, for the swing out to attach to. This adds a lot of strength to that end, and its welded to the 1"x3/16" angle Iron flat bar, which gives the drum the rest of its strength. Without the angle Iron, you would definately need some sort of support, to keep the thing from twisting/sagging. The sides would buckle in, and the thing would always sit with a big twist in it.

Solvent prolly weighs about 7lbs/gal, x 15 gallons - 105 lbs
Big Block Cylinder Head - ?45 lbs?

No problem :D

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Nice work, thanks for the post! Always a pleasure to see your work Brook. <bow>

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nice idea. What kind of solvent are you using and how much does it cost? Ive been thinking about building something similar to this but I haven't looked into where or how much the solvent costs.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
BGGreen - Nice parts washer! I need to build/buy one of those soon.

I ran across a couple of pumps that you might be interested in at Northern Tool

Pump #1 $20
Pump # 2 $33

I personally like the second pump better. They also have the parts brushes and hoses available for about $17

-Jeff

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sweet, looks great :cool2:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Nice! But too fancy for me :shaking:

Gonna use an old kitchen double-sink. One basin for parts washer, the other basin for an oil drain tray. Two buckets, a little plumbing, and a fish tank pump. :smokin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts