Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking about my XJ. I'm wondering if a 60 is the best axle to run with 35s (the biggest tires I'll go with - if I wanna go bigger, I'll get a CJ to build). Basically, I'd like to hear from folks who might've run 35s with a 60 to see if the axle strength is worth the clearance trade-off at this tire size. Wondering if maybe a beefed front 44 and rear 14 bolt/similar would be an ideal combo for 35s. I'm not gonna lift beyond 5" on my XJ - I'll cut whatever sheetmetal is in the way to run 35s at 5". Full-width is what I'm asking about, btw. (and yes, I did search, to try and eliminate some of the noob flames to come). Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I would be tempted to go with the D44 also, but why not go with a 9in? If it were set up right it would be all you ever needed. I also think a 14bolt is way to big for 35’s. A D60 is close to over kill for them, and 14 is well past over kill.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm hearing go with a quality, built 9" and built front 44 - this combo would hold up to 35s (stock 4.0) and give max clearance, yes? I know axle-shafts will blow, but I'm hoping to reduce that occurence on the trail, and it sounds like a 44/9" with some quality shafts/joints will do that for me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm not even sure I would bother going with high dollar shafts, I didn't with a 44/9" combo and haven't broke anything yet, of course I haven't got the final tires on it yet either. What type of lockers are you going to run, what type of gearing are you looking at, IMO that makes as much a difference as tire size.

Chad

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I agree with everyone above, a nice HP front 44 and a good 9" rear. You could even run the 35 splines in the rear.

I think D44/9" combo will hold up to 35's pretty well depending on driving style and gearing. If your gonna run and Atlas2 and 5.38's you may break some front axles. IMO run both axles stock until shafts start to break then upgrade. Nice alloy 31 spline 9" axles will probably be more than enough for the 35's and then some Warns/CTMs in the front, which may even be over kill.

Good luck :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
YJ4RoX said:
I agree with everyone above, a nice HP front 44 and a good 9" rear. You could even run the 35 splines in the rear.

Probly a worthless post, but I agree w/ the 9" rear / Dana 44 HP front. I've seen this setup on LOTS of XJ's & it works... Hell, I'm thinking of going that route w/ the TJ, it's simple, effective & CHEAP parts.

Don't forget the disc brakes on the 9" ;)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Probly a worthless post, but I agree w/ the 9" rear / Dana 44 HP front. I've seen this setup on LOTS of XJ's & it works... Hell, I'm thinking of going that route w/ the TJ, it's simple, effective & CHEAP parts.

Why the fawk was my comment a worthless post???:flipoff2:

The guy asked for opinions, he wants overkill so i suggested the 35 spline 9" axles.

I run 36 tsl's on D44's but i have a 4 banger and a YJ. They survived tellico this fall. If you are aware of your axles limits & drive with some sense the 44/9" will hold up fine.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
YJ4RoX said:

Why the fawk was my comment a worthless post???:flipoff2:

The guy asked for opinions, he wants overkill so i suggested the 35 spline 9" axles.

I run 36 tsl's on D44's but i have a 4 banger and a YJ. They survived tellico this fall. If you are aware of your axles limits & drive with some sense the 44/9" will hold up fine.
he was referring to his own post by recommending the 44/9" combo ;)

and yes that'll be great, but like mentioned before it will also depend on how your gearing is and if you run a 4low/Atlas and lockers :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Another vote;

44/44 would work well.

44/9" would work well.

HP44/9" yadda yadda.

HP44/HP9" NOW YOUR TALKIN! Driveshafts WAY up high is egggsellant on a long rig.

60's? Too low for a set of 35's

14B? Trench digga :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
But what if you get 35's on your XJ and decide that it is so much fun you want bigger tires? I did read that you would then build a YJ, but XJ's are so versatile offroad, and 38's and even 40's are not uncommon.

If you are sensible in the application of the go-pedal then a 44 will handle 37's. If any bigger is planned then 60's would make sense.

Otherwise I echo the above posts - 9"/44

1 - 20 of 46 Posts