Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anyone in Utah (Salt Lake, Utah County areas) that has the skill to do rear 40 quarter panels? Just wondering? I can't afford pre-made plus shipping, so that's why I'm looking at going this way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i built my own bed and channel for under 60 bones, and it's way stronger than any stock garbage. looks good too for my hack job:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got a big piece of diamond plate that I
have been thinking of bending to use on the
quarter panels,

Is the bend a compound angle ?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
its really easy, make a paper template, transfer it to a large sheet of steel, cut out with a nibbler, spot weld to back of truck, push around radius, finish spot welding, weld a 1" lip on.

simple!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, that sounds pretty simple. i'll give it a try. worst case scenario i'll be out 20 bucks for wasted sheet metal. what gauge would you recomend for these?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have made about a dozen pairs out of 18g. Steel.

I took a piece of plastic gas main pipe (3' long and about 10" in diameter) and built a simple frame around two large blocks of wood and made a very simple press that exactly reproduces the stock bend of the quarter panel. You just take the pre-cut steel blank, lay in the press, stomp on with your foot and out comes a perfect radius bend. Helps to weigh in at 260 but even if you don't it's not that hard.

Sounds medieval but it works like a charm.

I can take some pics of it if anyone is interested. I built it in `94 and it has seen a lot of use. In other words, I never realized how much it would get used.

-Stumbaugh

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a set of Stumbaugh's qtrs on my 40. I can attest that they fit like a glove. John, I would love to see a picture of your bending apparatus. Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Please - Post up those jig pics!

I was thinking of making a similar jig out of steel so that I could heat and bend 1/8 inch Diamond plate for my corners. How thick is 18g? Any thoughts or advice?

Anyone know what Nolan used for his quaters?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just realized that it will be dark when I get home so I'll take some pics tomorrow before work.

Like I said it's pretty medival so don't expect anything fancy but it works well.

ckolloff - I have a similar sized metal pipe to the plastic one that I am currently using and was thinking that I took a piece of angle iron and welded it one side as a clamping surface to hold down the work the I could build a roller that would spin around the center of the large steel pipe on arms mounted to bearings. This would allow the use of a thicker material like 1/8 (11g) diamond plate steel....

Hard to envision, when I take the pics I'll so a simple drawing.

18g = .048

-Stumbaugh

·
Registered
652 Posts
hey john, i case you forgot your getting out of 4wheeling :)

did you ever get any pics of the 4runner?

also, bud from www.budbuilt.com has some nice quarters that are 3/16 thick. i have a set in my shed and they are really nice.

dave

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yea man, if I don't get off a cane I might actually have to give it up and stick to welding as a hobby instead. If I had only not gone for ride that day in 1995...oh well.

The guy with the 4 Runner is getting ready for climbing mt Everest so he does not have much free time. I will go take pics of the truck - it's near my house.

-Stumbaugh

·
Registered
452 Posts
me to cant wait the more primitve it is the better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
alright, I'll take some pics first thing in the AM...

Sorry for the delay. The boss took us to a titty bar for lunch today so I was kind of in a hurry to get to work :)

-Stumbaugh

1 - 20 of 40 Posts