Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump on my '88 22re finally took a dirt nap this weekend. I called the factory and they said they'd have one by tuesday but I couldn't wait that long. So I bought a new (not rebuilt) one from Napa. I noticed that the blades on the inside were not as big as the stock pump but I didn't think anything of it. I took my truck for a test drive and my truck runs right up into the red now. I replaced the t-stat last weekend with a 2-stage stat that was suggested, and that ran fine. But now that I installed this pump, my truck just runs straight into the red. And I don't get any heat from my heater the whole time.
Do the napa water pumps just suck or what?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
If it just ran really hot, that'd be a possible water pump issuse, but the lack of heat immediately screams "thermostat!" to me. Perhaps some of the gunk/silicone gasket wasn't carefully cleaned out of the passages behind the water pump, and wound up stuck in the thermostat? :confused:

Be happy if the thermostat is the problem. They're cheaper and much easier to change. :)

Check it for junk clogging it up... maybe you can just clean any gasket pieces from the water pump swap out of it, and put it back in. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, I did a wickedly thurough clean out when I replaced the t-stat last week just because there was so much rust and crap in there. both the upper and lower hose were tight so there should be plenty flow. I'll check it out again just in case though.

For those of you who don't se hable espanol, the Nino means....THE NINO!!!!
heh heh:p

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
water pumps both suck and push. :D otherwise they would not be very functional.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
HaZarD2600 said:
hmm, I did a wickedly thurough clean out when I replaced the t-stat last week.
No no no... what I'm saying is that you put the T-stat in, and it ran good. Now you've put a water pump on there, and it does not. But the symptoms point to a thermostat - specifically, the lack of hot air from the heater.

So what I'm GUESSING has happened is that somehow, the t-stat has been *clogged*. Wild guess says that a couple pieces of gasket material or something fell down into the downward-pointing hole in the block while you were scraping the gasket off, and found themselves plastered against the inside of the thermostat openings.

Regardless, just pull the t-stat out. It takes what, five minutes and a box wrench? It's sure as hell easier than getting the water pump off. I hate those tiny-ass studs/nuts that hold the fan clutch on. :mad:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i think the early water pumps are smaller(79-83 and the later ones are bigger. if the impeller is not close to the housing it will not pump.

and check for the clogged thermotsat. and take the upper rad hose off and (from the motor) put a garden hose in it and flush the debree if anny up and out. good luck

Cliff

·
Registered
363 Posts
Maybe an airlock?Usually the lack of heater air is a dead giveaway you have air in the system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check out the t-stat either way it'd be a good idea to do just to be sure. thx

p.s. I said screw the fan clutch studs and got some small screws and nuts with lock washers and am using that instead. Much easier since I don't have to deal with installing the studs into the new pump.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It ended up being air-lock after all. I let the engine run at idle for about 15 minutes with the heater running full blast with the radiator cap off and topping off the coolant every time it went low. After that, my truck ran fine!. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just to let you know... now that you got it full of coolant, the NAPA new water pumps are made by Airtex and they do suck. Went through 3 in two years, got tired of changing them out, and got the Toyota factory one. 4 years going strong. So when it takes a crap, get your money back from NAPA and get the Toyota one. That's what I ended up doing. (At the time the Toyota one was $2 cheaper too.)

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
i decided to get mine from toyota this time.
i think it was 72$.
which i guess is steep, but those shitty aftermarket ones are 35$ plus core. and fail rapidly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts