Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLEANING UP MY CALIPERS FOR THE FRONT DISC'S AND THE CYLINDERS HAVE ALOT OF STUFF ON THEM AND THE RUBBER BOOTS AROUND THEM ARE HURTING. DO THEY NEED TO BE REBUILT? CAN I JSUT UNBOLT THE TWO HALFS, BE REAL NICE AND CAREFUL ABOUT THE SEALS, AND WIRE WHEEL OFF THE CYLINDERS SO THEIR NICE AND CLEAN?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Do they leak? If not, you can probably run em...If it was me, I would rebuild them

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MY IDEA OF REBUILDING THESE WOULD BE TO UNBOLT THE TWO HALVES, PULL THE CYLINDERS, WIRE WHEEL THEM, PUT THEM BACK AND BOLT IT BACK TOGETHER. WHAT I'M WONDERING IS WHAT IT TAKES TO SEAL THE TWO HALVES AFTER THEIR SEPARATED, AND IF THE SEALS WILL BE SALVAGABLE AFTER THE CYLINDERS ARE REMOVED...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The boots are toast, so it probably won't be long before the pistons start sticking. I would rebuild them because it is cheap and easy, but I wouldn't disassemble the halves unless you have to. Put away the wire wheel; they are shiny enough. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOW CHEAP IS "CHEAP"? AND THEY ARE GETTING PAINTED, THATS WHY I CLEANED THEM UP. THE WIRE WHEEL IS MY BEST FREIND, IT TAKES WHAT IS OLD, AND MAKES IT NEW AGAIN ;)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Do yourself a favor and rebuild them. The kits are only like 6-8 bucks a side if I remember correctly. The kits I used did not hace the little o-rings to seal the halfs but I reused the originals with no problems. The hardest part is getting the pistons out of the bores. After that - cake walk.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO WHERE DOES ONE GET THESE MYTHICAL 6-8 BUCK REBUILD KITS? AFTER DOING THE ROUND HERE THEY COST $28-$19 PER SIDE, AND HAVE TO BE SPECIAL ORDERED

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Sorry, I was off a tad. I just bought some kits yeaterday from Bumper to Bumper - Part #WAG F102402. It was $19.87 before tax for both sides. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Their is one thing that i never screw around with on my cruiser......SAFETY! If their is any doubt in my mind that the breaks are gana go out then i would rebuild em'. My cruiser has already been rolled once while my brother was driving it and it just happened the breaks failed. My brother was fine and suffered no injures but he was lucky. Trust me! Pay a little now or u could pay the ultimate price later. ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEAH, BUT SEE THE THING IS, IS IF I PAY TOO MUCH NOW.... I WOULN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE BRAKES GOING OUT CAUSE IT'LL NEVER GET RUNNING :(

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD BE BUYING? THERE IS NO "CALIPER REBUILD KIT" JUST CALIPER KITS, I TAKE IT THEY ARE THE SAME THING? THIS?

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
"IF" you separate the halfs, DO NOT lose the square o-ring between them. It is not replacable, not available. A round o-ring may work, but I think could leak.

Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
No need to seperate the halves, use the block of wood as discribed in the hayne manuel and air pressure, the pistons come right out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts