Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a SFA installed on my Explorer and i've been talking to some guys about my heim joints we are using and they seem to think it is a bad idea to have them on my steering links. Especially if i'm going to be on the interstate doing 70 MPH. Is this a bad idea for my steering links?

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
I've been using them for about 7yrs and I don't have any problems. I changed them all out once just for peace of mind.
If your just doing it for the... Bling,Bling, then stay with tie rods. Nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i'm not using them for the bling bling. Just cause of their reliablity. Cory over at CRLCustoms is doing the build up for me and he sells them, so i'm not real sure what size he's using. So you guess don't see a problem using them for trips? This isn't my DD, but i will be on the road for wheelin trips and things like that. Thanks for the help men!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Around here we all use them. We use good quaility ones and just keep an eye on them for excessive wear or sloppyness. You can use a large washer on the outside of the misalinement washers to insure they can't/won't pop apart.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
GPN has the right idea. If it worries you, capture the rod end with a big heavy washer. If the joint fails, you will definitely know it and have plenty of time to stop before the washer disintegrates-if it ever does.

I have also had fellas tell me not to use Heims for steering on drag cars. Then, I started working on aircraft and found that all of the control surfaces on most general aviation aircraft are controlled with heim joints. If it's good enough for aircraft, it's good enough for a car-there is a far shorter fall from a car!

Peace,
Paul

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I used 4-5 different brands in my steering at various times...the only joint to survive long term has been the QA-1 brands, and the XMR/XML 10-12 is a NICE strong joint. (5/8 hole, 3/4 thread)

http://www.qa-1.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been using the QA1 PCM 3/4 shankx5/8 hole on a DD XJ for 3 yearsand 40K miles, still fine. Use the same ones on my EB buggy with 38's and no problems.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I didn't use a misalignment bushing on mine...mine uses 14" stroke shocks on the axle and I've noted no binding with the heims. IMO, misalignments are a REAL bad idea unless running double shear, which most steering setups do not. My scout box pitman is outside the drivers frame rail however so my drag is longer than some.

mine uses the 5/8 x 5/8 joint which I believe has a higher mis-angle.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
jot017 said:
I'm having a SFA installed on my Explorer and i've been talking to some guys about my heim joints we are using and they seem to think it is a bad idea to have them on my steering links. Especially if i'm going to be on the interstate doing 70 MPH. Is this a bad idea for my steering links?
You'll be fine with the heims, the ones that Cory sells are good aurora ones. Lots of people around here run them on the street, or on racecars that go way faster that 70 whole miles per hour.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i would personally go straight through qa1....most likely the cheapest price and they will know the most about thier product...i would hope....helped me a ton!

get the HEAT TREATED ones and pay attention to the static load rating

1 - 14 of 14 Posts