Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The point of a red dot isn't to replace the rear sight and line through the front, right? You either want the dot above the front sight, remove the front sight, or look past the front sight, right?

I've never shot with one before and will be sighting one in next time I hit the range.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Everyone I have ever used the dot was high enough that there was no way to use the front sight. Just zero the dot in at your chosen distance and shoot!

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Correct, the red dot does not replace the rear sight. It replaces front and rear.

Some people like the dot set up so that it co-aligns (cowitness) with the sights (like on an ar) some have the dot above (typically called lower third).

I run dots and magnified optics on my AR 1/3.
If the electrics die or something breaks, sights are still there

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
the whole point of a red dot is that you don't have to align anything, where the dot is is where the bullet will go. Forget the iron sights exist and get the dot and point of impact lined up, then it's a quick easy deal to put shots where you want em.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That's what I thought. I'll toss the irons in the go-bag.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
If you are installing a RDS on an AR or other rifle where the RDS cowitnesses with the irons: Look through the iron sights and adjust the reticle of the RDS until it is sitting on top of the front post.

Inversely, if the rifle already has a RDS and you are adding BUIS: Adjust the sights until they align with the reticle of the RDS.

In other words, once one is zeroed, there is no need to go to the range to zero the other.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are installing a RDS on an AR or other rifle where the RDS cowitnesses with the irons: Look through the iron sights and adjust the reticle of the RDS until it is sitting on top of the front post.

Inversely, if the rifle already has a RDS and you are adding BUIS: Adjust the sights until they align with the reticle of the RDS.

In other words, once one is zeroed, there is no need to go to the range to zero the other.
I haven't zeroed either. I've taken this gun to the range once and somehow managed to leave both the allen key that I needed to unlock the turrets AND the rear iron at home. I went through about 50 rd's of aiming a foot up and to the right to get a good hit on my target before I threw it back in the bag and moved on.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I thought the the irons are called "BUIS" for the fact that if your electronics fail they are there in a snap, as in flip, up not unpack and install. Leave them on your rifle and use them when you need them;).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I thought the the irons are called "BUIS" for the fact that if your electronics fail they are there in a snap, as in flip, up not unpack and install. Leave them on your rifle and use them when you need them;).
That was always my choice too. I ran flip up Samson and Troy Industries on my AR-10; left them down to use my Eotech with 3x magnifier.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I will need a riser on this rifle, so the irons will be in the bag. ..Otherwise, I won't be able to see the red dot.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
LucasFury:14632215 said:
I don't think I will need a riser on this rifle, so the irons will be in the bag. ..Otherwise, I won't be able to see the red dot.
What kind of rifle?

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts