Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together a 1970 800 for the daughter (hence the name :shaking:), I will start with a little of the back story (sorry, its going to be long).

Daughter keeps begging to get a VW bug, and of course I am just not really paying attention to her :D. I have always had scout II's so for as far as scouts go, that all she really knows, then one day we are in town and I see a really nice 800 and stop to look at it and she decides right there she would rather have a "Baby scout" than a bug, and goes home and hounds her mother about it, score one for me. :smokin: so shortly there after the wife caves and says that I can go find a scout for her and drag home so I start shopping around. :bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

I look around and I am not really finding what I want, they are all either rotten/baskets/hacks or majorly built or made into hot rods, and for a teenage girl, not happening. Sitting in the shop one evening having a few drinks with a buddy I am off handily scrolling through fleebay on my phone and come across a pretty nice rig in SoCal. Solid, all original, no rust I can see in pics and the pics are pretty good. So at this go back to the "having a few drinks". In a brilliant idea I figure I will make an offer, low, but decent, and for what it shows and describes, it is probably worth it. This way I can get a dialog started with the guy and see how it goes, so I do it. Little did I know that you can set a min offer auto except, which the owner set at at the exact amount I offered. I get the customary email from fleebay within a few seconds like normal, but when I open it I am expecting a hey your bid entered, blah blah blah, instead I see congratulations you have won :eek:.

My buddy see the look on my face and starts laughing before he can even ask me what happened. Before I can even explain it all he is laughing so hard the youngest come out of the house to find out what is going on. Dick. So I pour myself another drink while I am trying just how to decided to explain to the wife what just happened, and of course about 2 more drinks just in-case before going into the house. Some where around drink 4 the guy calls me, got my number from fleebay and is all happy and excited etc etc etc. :barf:, but it seems like I still might come out on top so I don't lay it to him and get him to let me out of the deal. Go in and explain it to the wife, from the hazy memory she seems to take it pretty well, especially since I made sure the daughter was there when I told her, I might be stupid but i am not an idiot.

So I make plans and get everything ready to take the tow dolly and set it up on the bed of the truck, and the daughter, my buddy and me hell run it to SoCal from the NW corner of Oregon Thursday.

When we get down there I am actually pretty happy with what I find. He had gotten the scout to do a 4BT swap into it, had a brand new, from the factory 4BT sitting on a pallet with starter, flywheel and bell-housing ring for a NV4500 sitting on ground in front of it. Once he started in on it he realized he had gotten in over his head and it wasn't the exact model he wanted to start with, it had the fold down windshield and upper wipers. This thing is solid and has the factory uncut wire harness in it. This thing still even has an externally regulated alt on it. I have seen more rust on 5 year old trucks running around. The only things I can find I don't like are that he had covered up the side marker light holes ????, filled in the wiper holes (was planning on electric under dash then he found out it wouldn't work) and some one had made a rinky 3" shit pipe roll bar and they had drilled hole in floor boards to mount it.

The rig just happens to be about 2 miles east of I5, on Magic Mountain Pkwy, and my niece just happened to be on active duty Navy in San Diego so she came up and somehow we ended up with really cheap tickets to 6 flags so we just had to spend the day with her and everything, or so I told the wife.

So we drag it home after that and he has all but sat since. I had the daughter drive it a little, the t18 and the fact that she is so short she looks between the steering wheel and the dash is frickin hysterical, until a few weeks ago when I finally had rounded up enough of the bits and pieces to start in on it.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So here are some of the pics of it as we got it.

There were some small weird things on it I had to mess with, lights didn't want to work right turning out to be 1157/58 in wrong sockets, and the charging was all over the place so I swapped it over to a 10si and through my MSD box and coil on it for shits and grins. It all ready had a petronix in the dissy.

The plans for the immediate are a 4.3\700R4\241 swap, All new weather stripping and felts, electric wipers w/intermittent, Hydro assist brakes, Scout II front and rear diffs with four corner disc brakes, Scout II power steering box, and some adjustments to the driver seat so she can see over the wheel :D. It came with what I am thinking are 4 inch lift springs and I am still thinking of what I want to do there. Leaning toward going back to a stock spring and going a SOA to it for the better ride without too much height.

Some of the future plans are a single fuel tank, full cage, high steer, dana 300, full re-wire, etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
pics or it doesnt exist
Working on it, :flipoff2:.

Its actually already got the drive train swapped into it, just dragging ass on the write up. Come to think about it, you saw the motor about a week ago :D

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Over the last few months I had been working on piecing the motor/trans/transfer together, cutting down the engine harness, buying/trading for parts as possible, and just getting things ready for it. Planning on doing it in sections so it doesn't get to far away from me and to kind of compartmentalize it. First up is the major, the power plant. The 2nd I bring it in and start tearing the drive train out of it and get it set off to the side, had a guy down by Salem that wanted it for a frame up restore on an 800 he is downing, think I actually got better than scrap price for the whole package. I really sold him the motor and threw in the trans/transfer, but still broke even/ahead on it I think.

Here is the new engine bolted together for moch-up. 1992 4.3 TBI, 1989 700R4, 1990 241 w/DIY4x4 clocking ring, and I am using a 1994 ECM/harness.

Harness prior to the cut down

And it cut down and ready for final layout and adjustments in the rig.

Two shots of the beautiful front steering and springs. The rubber hose you can see is the fuel line coming from the stock hard line on the driver side and running to the fuel pump.

This is a shot of the roll bar, they had shit pipe pieces attached to it that went forward and then down right at the dash. The bends were not bad, but it was in the way of getting in and out easily and it rattled against the top so it went the first time I drove it to work.

Pass side floor where the mounting plate was.

Complete package out and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The frame rails with all the motor and trans mounts removed.

Here someone finally decided to get out of bed and come help :shaking:, people kids I tell ya.

Then we got the whole new package lowered in and set right where I wanted it.

This is with it setting all on it own mounts.

Trans mount/cross member

Side shot of the frame, nice and flat.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Shot of the floorboard with the T18/Dana 20

Here with the 700/241. Only had to do just a small bit of trimming.

This is a shot of a stock early 90's blazer radiator (Left) next to another one I picked up that I don't know what it came out of. Its pretty close to Identical but the blazer radiator is 33.5 ish inches wide and the other one is 31 ish inches wide.

The good thing about the smaller one is that the opening in the rad core is right at 31.5 inches wide, so it drops in the opening perfect. The next few pics show it on motor side, I was playing with it trying to figure out exactly where I want to put it. With it here I only need to trim the small "wings" and fab a mounting system. If I set in farther forward I have to trim the support in the bottom corners to get it to sit low enough to get it to clear the hood. There is more than enough room where its at in the pictures for the Taurus fan plus for clearance with less trimming of structural pieces, but open to thoughts and suggestions here.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The next day I was not very motivated. I did get out and get the holes re-drilled for the wipers. Thankfully only the exterior holes had been filled in. Got the new motors mounted and wire ran down so they can be wired behind the dash when I get that far. For the wire, I had some 4 strand cased in black on a roll in the top of the shop which worked out great for these. Not 100% happy with the "hanging Out" look, but did not want to try and get them all fed through the windshield frame either.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
She decided that she want to go visit some friends for a week so it got rolled outside till she gets back, that's part of the deal, but it also gave me the needed time so I could get mine in to get the spool in the front end in time to make it to hoodoo and explode a short side chromo front :shaking:. I also started started getting the new under hood fuse box pre-wired and ready.

The Waytek order, sorry for crappy cell pick.

The relay grounds done and the power side to the non-relay fuses in progress.

Top Shot of box

Bottom shot of box

Made up a sticker/label for it real quick.

Thats it for now. Will get in back inside this weekend after I do some axle swapping on mine friday so its ready to go break again :mad3:

Teaser pics :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Great meeting you again this weekend. 800's with the fold down windshield and very very rare. I frankly didn't believe they exsisted till I saw one in real life about 10 years ago. Rig looks like its going to be great.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would kill for a clean rig like that.

I would make it my DD.
Ya, the plans for this are not 100% pirate worthy, its going to be the daughters DD, but I figure I can get better feedback on what I am doing to it here. Haven't found anyone here that is afraid of being the dick they are and they will tell you that your AFU :flipoff2:.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Never heard of a 800 with a fold down windshield. that is too cool, definitely Pirate worthy.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never heard of a 800 with a fold down windshield. that is too cool, definitely Pirate worthy.
The windshield surprised me a little also, still do need to pull the line set to check and see if there was anything special there.

Man, this is a clean rig. Loving what you have done so far. What are the plans for suspension?
Still tossing this one around. So far what I do know is it will be scout II with 4 corner disc brakes. I am leaning towards SOA and pulling a few leaf out of the lift springs that are under it to soften it up allot and get it to sit down a little bit. It rides ruff as hell right now.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Updates.

Spent allot of time over the weekend laying in the engine harness and then weeding out a few things from the dash harness, followed by blending the two together. Not doing a full re-wire as of yet, this thing is already getting into project hemorrhage and I want to wait and see how it pans out before completely stripping the harness and starting from the ground up. I did get it to fire for the first time Saturday night. Sunday evening I got the radiator mounted and everything plumbed up just to find that it leaked even without any system pressure on it. :mad3:

Monday I had allot of running to do but I got a Taurus fan and a new radiator for it. Turns out the radiator is from a 84 - 94 Astro van with a 4.3.

Wednesday I finally got back around to it and got the power steering cooler and trans coolers mounted. I am using a set from a 1996 Chevy that I recently pulled the engine out of for a swap. They fit in there really nice. I then started on laying out the trans and fuel lines and got the floorboard patch I had made up a few weeks ago installed.

Shot of where I mounted the PCM.

With the dash back in

Fuse box mounted and wires fed through the firewall, needed to dress them up at that point.

Upper radiator mounts

Lower mounts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The trans and power steering coolers

Floorboard Patch

Ended the week with pulling the motor back out so I can get in it easier and work on the Hydro assist and mounting the fuel lines/pump/filter easier and then touch out the grinding and welding areas.

I do have to tell on myself here a little bit. In looking into an electric fuel pump for this, I came to a realization that should have set in months ago on a problem I have been dealing with on the trail scout. I have a CPI engine in it and have been fighting what I thought were bad injectors. I am running a walboro pump in it and was planning on doing the same here because I had a spare one in a drawer, but when I got it out it wouldn't work. Once again I was off reading about pumps again, and that's when I realized that I had missed somewhere along the line, and that the walboro is only rated at 60 psi. When you are trying to run a system that requires 56+ psi, it is bound to be prone to some major issues :shaking:. So the trail rig is getting a new pump and I will put hers on here and hopefully everything will be all nice and happy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The trans and power steering coolers

Floorboard Patch

Ended the week with pulling the motor back out so I can get in it easier and work on the Hydro assist and mounting the fuel lines/pump/filter easier and then touch out the grinding and welding areas.

I do have to tell on myself here a little bit. In looking into an electric fuel pump for this, I came to a realization that should have set in months ago on a problem I have been dealing with on the trail scout. I have a CPI engine in it and have been fighting what I thought were bad injectors. I am running a walboro pump in it and was planning on doing the same here because I had a spare one in a drawer, but when I got it out it wouldn't work. Once again I was off reading about pumps again, and that's when I realized that I had missed somewhere along the line, and that the walboro is only rated at 60 psi. When you are trying to run a system that requires 56+ psi, it is bound to be prone to some major issues :shaking:. So the trail rig is getting a new pump and I will put hers on here and hopefully everything will be all nice and happy.
Nice build. Your cross member is very similar to what I first did in my 80. I used the same cross transfer case and clocking ring and did the same cut to the side of the transmission tunnel. It was great until I wanted to take the transfer case off without lowering the transmission. I couldn’t. The clocking ring did not let the transfer case rotate down when unbolted. You may want to check yours. I ended up just extending the cut back a little farther.

I look forward to seeing more.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got some time in on it this week between everything else that was going on.

Made up a plate and got the hydro boost mounted up and the brake side plumbed in.

I also go the fuel pumps swapped around and all the lines routed. Pulled the driver side tank and welded 3 nipples to the front bottom for the fuel lines. Suction, return and a cross connect. I am just going to run the two tanks with a cross connect until I can get the single center tank done. Doing this she will have the total capacity and only have to deal with reading fuel level off of one side. There will be a little dead spot in the bottom of the passenger side tank due to fuel line routing but it will only be about 2 gallons of fuel. I did not get any pictures of the tank or fuel pump.

Got the engine, radiator and coolers re-installed and filled up and that's when I finally figured out what has been giving me an issue with the electrical. when I ordered the fuse panel I was thinking for some reason that the bused power to the relays were for the load side, its not :shaking:. The power on the buss side if for the relay signal only and is set up for switching the ground side of the signal to complete the circuit. A new panel is on order and I will get it installed when it gets here. I did pull the panel and bypass everything and get it running, sounds pretty good with open manifolds but I am thinking that it might had a rod bearing problem. Develops a small bottom end knock just off idle if you bring it up slow. Cant tell if its there or not when you crack it open due to the noise.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Short video of the engine noise :eek:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts