Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i had a '78/'79 ford front 60, but times got tough and had to sell... i realize i can pick up a dodge front axle on the CHEAP. not hardcore wheeling with this truck, just want to solid axle for peace of mind and no IFS. the kit i want to use for my '01 2500hd requires a 32" spring pad width axle (i could always fab my own brakets and yada yada... but no, i want to use a kit). my question is this: can all the coil spring junk and radius arm brakets be cut off to allow some perches to be welded on for a 32" spring pad width? from what it looks like the chunk is actually set farther inward than a '78/'79 ford 60 front? i dont care that its ball joint and actually wouldnt mind keeping the unit hubs for abs since im only planning on 35" tires at the most. thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
People do this all the time, go for it. Not coil spring to leaf, but lopping off brackets and welding new ones on.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If it's a coil-sprung Dodge 60, that means it most likely has a CAD. You will run into issues welding a spring perch on the passenger side but it can be done. I would have to measure 32" wide and see where it lands. Driver side shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i actually want to use a dodge front since this truck isnt a hardcore off road truck, more a street truck that i want to beef up... i would like to keep the abs and i can do so by using chevy hub bearings on the outers ive been told. i just need to know if there is enough meat once the coil brakets are cut off and if the axle is centered enough to gain a 32" spring pad width...

or hell... what about the AAM 9.25"? be cool to have a "14 bolt front" to match my 14 bolt rear lol. whats the deal with those things?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i actually want to use a dodge front since this truck isnt a hardcore off road truck, more a street truck that i want to beef up... i would like to keep the abs and i can do so by using chevy hub bearings on the outers ive been told. i just need to know if there is enough meat once the coil brakets are cut off and if the axle is centered enough to gain a 32" spring pad width...

or hell... what about the AAM 9.25"? be cool to have a "14 bolt front" to match my 14 bolt rear lol. whats the deal with those things?
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'm interested on the dimensions of the Dodge AAM 9.25 axle as well. I know its a coil over, but its perfect for a chevy SAS and used more commonly in the coil over kits. Anybody know if the dimensions are there to grind the coil over mounts off and run 32" perch leaf springs?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The leaf spring ends up well into the pumpkin if you try for 32" spacing. 36" (OBS spacing) or 38" (Superduty) spacing would be a better bet.

Interestingly enough, the short side shaft is about the same length as a 78-79 Ford D60; but the long side is 3-4" longer.
(^^^ talking 94-02 Dodge D60 here)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The leaf spring ends up well into the pumpkin if you try for 32" spacing. 36" (OBS spacing) or 38" (Superduty) spacing would be a better bet.

Interestingly enough, the short side shaft is about the same length as a 78-79 Ford D60; but the long side is 3-4" longer.
(^^^ talking 94-02 Dodge D60 here)
Im referring to the axle dodge started running in their heavy duty trucks in 2003, the AAM 9.25" axle, is this what youre talking about in your original statement?

·
Wheeler
2,779 Posts
I have a coil sprung disco driver drop Dodge 60 front, and it has factory spring pads on it, 31.5 spacing, just need to drill the centering holes .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts