Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 k5 blazer that im looking to put a dana 60 in the front of. well two freinds of mine both have one. one is out of a 1987 chevy and the other is out of a 1994 or a 1996 dodge. the guy with the chevy dana 60 wants 1200 and the other guy with the dodge wants 600. They are all complete ready to go and both are pass side drop. my question is will that dana 60 out of that dodge fit in my blazer and if so how hard will it be to fit in there. The dodge dana has the coil spring mounts still on it. I was wondering if there was a way to take the coil mounts off and weld on spring perches, i know i can weld one on the drivers side but i didnt know about the passanger side. so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you can look at both axles in person, I would take a tape measure to them to make sure you can place your spring perches where they belong... Honestly the guy with the Chevy 60 is selling it WAAY overpriced... unless it is loaded with deeper gears and a locker.

Is the Dodge axle a unit-bearing/ball joint axle?

If so I'd pass on it...

I would take the Chevy out of those two... but try to talk the guy down to at least 700 if not less... because it is worth nowhere near 1200.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think the guy with the dodge said its a kingpin? i may be wrong on that. That chevy 60 is all stock not locked and has 4.11s and he is stuck on that 1200$

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
All 94+ dodge axles are unit bearing and ball joint. No other way to get them. Unless that chevy 60 has high steer arms, all brand new parts and a ARB in it, I wouldn't give 1200 for it. No more than 700, 800 if your desperate...

·
Registered
91 Posts
buy the dodge as long as its kingpin. The sping perches were only out 1/4 inch different from my dodge to the chevy. pull the covers off BOTH

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,947 Posts
IF it's a pre-93 Dodge Passenger drop kingpin D60, then it's almost identical to a Chevy D60. About 2" narrower and the spring pad width is about .5" wider 30.5" vs 30". Some older dodge axles had the external hubs.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

He said a passenger drop, but he also said it has coil spring buckets on it. If it's got stock coil buckets on it then it's a '94+ (balljoint, unit bearing CAD, Driver drop) which ain't gonna work for the blazer.

$1200 is too much for that Chevy D60 (unless it's built, locker, 35 spline outers/hubs)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If the Dodge 60 was older, it would be a great price for 600. Since it's newer than 94, don't bother. Try to talk the guy with the Chevy 60 under 1k.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What the hell i got to be a tard for. I was saying that i havent seen that frontend yet. If i have seen i would know what it is :flipoff2:

buddy thats selling it is a tard, he said it was pass side and coil. you better know what your buying, its probably a dana 44

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Here is some info I have picked up over the years about Dodge Dana 60's.

1. If the axle is passenger side drop it is 1993 or PREVIOUS

2. Leaf spring application which is friendly with Chevy (1/4" difference)

3. Same king pin steering setup that uses the same steering block for correction as the chevy.

Now, the things to watch out for.

1. Dodge had a Dana 61 axle that is identical to the 60 EXCEPT it came in the diesel trucks and was equipped with a 3.08 gear. Pull the cover, if it has a 3.08 gear the pinion location on the housing is different than a standard Dana 60 and the LOWEST gear ratio available for said Dana 61 axle is a 4.10. Personally had experience with this as I friend of mine bought a "Dana 60" off EBAY and got stuck with a Dana 61 turd nobody wanted :shaking:

2. (This is actually a good one) Some of the Dodge front axles were in fact Dana 70's in those years. It stand's a good chance of this if it was in a Dually truck. The way to tell (besides casting number's and BOM's which take time and energy to scrape off and clean up) is yank a hub/drive flange which ever it happens to have and see what spline outers it has. If you are lucky and it has 35 spline outers buy that S.O.B. as you have most likely scored yourself a Dana 70 front axle. I wheel with a gentleman that runs one of these and they are TOUGH. They use the same diff cover as a Dana 60 so ground clearence and overall appearence is the same as a 60 but they use a much larger pinion (great for extremely low gears as you can go all the way to 7.17 ratio with this axle) and bearings combined with 35 spline outers. Pretty much a beast.

Hope this helps, just make sure you don't end up with a Dana 61 :smokin:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going to go look at it this weekend. when i found out for sure what it is i will let ever one know what it is

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
BTW, if he say's it's coil sprung and passenger side drop he DOES NOT have a Dodge axle as coil spring's didn't start until 1994 and the transfer cases changed at that time with the body style and they were all driver's side drop. The only possibility here is if someone pulled the tube's from the pumpkin and swapped them like guys do on the 70's model HP Dana 44 Ford's, but you'd be looking at way more that $600.00 for a working axle if that was the case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is some info I have picked up over the years about Dodge Dana 60's.

1. If the axle is passenger side drop it is 1993 or PREVIOUS

2. Leaf spring application which is friendly with Chevy (1/4" difference)

3. Same king pin steering setup that uses the same steering block for correction as the chevy.

Now, the things to watch out for.

1. Dodge had a Dana 61 axle that is identical to the 60 EXCEPT it came in the diesel trucks and was equipped with a 3.08 gear. Pull the cover, if it has a 3.08 gear the pinion location on the housing is different than a standard Dana 60 and the LOWEST gear ratio available for said Dana 61 axle is a 4.10. Personally had experience with this as I friend of mine bought a "Dana 60" off EBAY and got stuck with a Dana 61 turd nobody wanted :shaking:

2. (This is actually a good one) Some of the Dodge front axles were in fact Dana 70's in those years. It stand's a good chance of this if it was in a Dually truck. The way to tell (besides casting number's and BOM's which take time and energy to scrape off and clean up) is yank a hub/drive flange which ever it happens to have and see what spline outers it has. If you are lucky and it has 35 spline outers buy that S.O.B. as you have most likely scored yourself a Dana 70 front axle. I wheel with a gentleman that runs one of these and they are TOUGH. They use the same diff cover as a Dana 60 so ground clearence and overall appearence is the same as a 60 but they use a much larger pinion (great for extremely low gears as you can go all the way to 7.17 ratio with this axle) and bearings combined with 35 spline outers. Pretty much a beast.

Hope this helps, just make sure you don't end up with a Dana 61 :smokin:
Thanks for the help. Thats some good info

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
NP, let us know what it is I'm curious :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts