Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a Dodge NP205 (rare 29 spline input from behind getrag 5 sp) in a chevy application? Same input shaft diameter as GM 32 spline and has the larger 32 spline output shafts however my concerns are the dodge 6 bolt pattern on the case... on this specific case the input bearing retainer "is" the tranny-Tcase adapter... could I use a gm 6 bolt bearing retainer?

thanks

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
While I haven't had my case out, it sure looks like the case itself is racetrack pattern, with a 6 bolt round adapter bolted on the front of it is it not? IIRC, the Chevy racetrack ones are set up the same way. I'd imagine it's also big bearing like the 32 spline GM case, so, it should be just a matter of swapping the input and being good to go. Or, if you need the 6 bolt pattern, you'd have to use it as is, maybe use a long 32 spline input? What trans are you going to put it behind?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right on the 32 spline "long" input. I'm looking to put this behind a Chevy SM465 (later model w. 32 spline) however my real concern is the adapter, I've found all sorts of information on the different GM Cases, Dodge Cases and confirmed all input shafts are interchangeable (depending on bearing diameters) however I can't find any info on modifying the Dodge case to be used with Chevrolet adapters.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Do you need the 6 bolt or the racetrack pattern? I'm not too familiar with the newer Chevy stuff outside of TH400 stuff. If it's 6 bolt, the pattern is the same ford/chevy/dodge so it should pretty much just bolt in, clocking may be off, so you may need to redrill the adapter, but everything will line up. The racetrack pattern is the same between the two if you need to go that way.
For the most part, 205 parts are pretty interchangeable, half of the guts in the case behind my buddy's TH400 are out of a Ford case... LOL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 82,

My biggest concern was if all 6 bolt cases use the same bolt pattern, sounds like my chevy adapter will bolt to a dodge case if I swap out the dodge spline input for a chevy spline input... Correct?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
dodge and ford shared the same 6 bolt pattern.

GM has 2 patterns, a racetrack 8 bolt pattern, and a 6 bolt round pattern. both patterns were directly drilled into the case. dodge had an adapter between the round trans adapter and the case. one side had an 8 bolt pattern *(the case)...

to use the dodge case with the 32 spline input from GM, you may have to get a shorter 32 spline output for your transmission from AA...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yep, should go together, just need to take some measurements and make sure that a long input will get you proper engagement, without knowing how much stickout the 465 has, a quick look under my Dodge with a tape measure makes me think you'll be fine. The long 32 spline input sticks out about 4.5" from the front of the case, and the racetrack to round adapter is 4", giving you 1/2" stickout past the front of the adapter. Not as much as a stock chevy setup would have, but, if the 465 has any stickout past the flange, it should be ok. Of course I can't find a picture anywhere of a 465 with the adapter installed for refrence... LOL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to trkklr ford & Dodge had the "same 6 bolt pattern"

was GM the "same 6 bolt pattern CASE as Ford & Dodge?"

I don't want to purchase this "rare" Dodge NP205 (29 spline input w. larger bearing) unless I know that a Dodge case is the same as a Chevrolet case when it comes to bolting up the tranny adapters...

also found a deal on a TH400/NP205 set up for $500... maybe I'd be better off to just purchase this set up & forget about running a standard BUT I would really like to run a SM465 which requires a 10 spline 8 bolt or later 32 spline which requires "6 bolt case 32 spline" (the reason I'm considering the dodge case...)

Thanks for your help so far guys!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Has anyone ever used a Dodge NP205 (rare 29 spline input from behind getrag 5 sp) in a chevy application? Same input shaft diameter as GM 32 spline and has the larger 32 spline output shafts however my concerns are the dodge 6 bolt pattern on the case... on this specific case the input bearing retainer "is" the tranny-Tcase adapter... could I use a gm 6 bolt bearing retainer?

thanks
Get the 29 spline unit and send it to me and I'll send you 2 chevy units.

That said I do not believe that the case is the same due to the larger retainer/bearing. I know you have to change quite a bit to go the other way I've looked at doing it and the machine work was a little much and it needed a diff input shaft. The case may work but you will have to machine out the adapter to fit the larger input bearing.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I think you're right on the 32 spline "long" input. I'm looking to put this behind a Chevy SM465 (later model w. 32 spline) however my real concern is the adapter, I've found all sorts of information on the different GM Cases, Dodge Cases and confirmed all input shafts are interchangeable (depending on bearing diameters) however I can't find any info on modifying the Dodge case to be used with Chevrolet adapters.
The 32 spline SM465's used with Np205's had only the 6 bolt round pattern. The racetrack pattern (as far as SM465's go) is used only with the 10 spline 205. That being said, if you wanted to use the dodge case, you'd have to drill the 6 bolt pattern into its face, or fab up your own adapter, because the 10 spline racetrack adapter is way shorter than the 32 spline 6 bolt adapter, and so are the respective output shafts.

I'd keep looking for a 6 bolt 205. If you can snag that dodge 205 for cheap though, get it. They are uncommon...you could probably turn around and sell it for profit or trade for a GM case.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to pick up the Dodge case & do some measurements... if nothing else I could use it for internal parts as they had 32 spline output gears. Either way, still looking for a Chevrolet 32 spline 465/NP205 OR TH400/NP205.

Thanks for your help guys.:D

·
Registered
376 Posts
that case is worth too much to part it for the 32 spline stuff. If you want to do that, find a Ford case. They're cheap, and have the 32 spline front outputs.

Do as someone mentioned earlier. Buy it, and if you can't use it, sell it for what you got in it or some profit.

If you can't find a Ford case for $100, you ain't looking hard enough.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It is a racetrack case for sure, but see that cast iron piece on the back of the aluminum trans tailhousing? That is a racetrack to round adapter.
Other than the 29 spline input shaft, there is nothing special at all about the Dodge 205(I have 2 of 'em...) it's the same as a Chevy big bearing case.
From my measurements, a Chevy long 32 spline input in a racetrack case with that adapter will give a 1/2" stickout past the front of the adapter.
What we need to complete the equasion is a measurement on how far, if any the output shaft sticks out on a Chevy round pattern trans to judge compatability.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
It is a racetrack case for sure, but see that cast iron piece on the back of the aluminum trans tailhousing? That is a racetrack to round adapter.
Other than the 29 spline input shaft, there is nothing special at all about the Dodge 205(I have 2 of 'em...) it's the same as a Chevy big bearing case.
From my measurements, a Chevy long 32 spline input in a racetrack case with that adapter will give a 1/2" stickout past the front of the adapter.
What we need to complete the equasion is a measurement on how far, if any the output shaft sticks out on a Chevy round pattern trans to judge compatability.
Im thinking its not enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts