Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So all in the efforts to avoid replacing a wheel bearing and stop the death wobble, I converted my 97 Dodge cummins knuckles to 92/93 Ford knuckles.

Place two pickle forks behind the rotor and hit it really really really hard and it'll come off!

Me setting up the ball joint installation/removal tool

My techinique for pressing the ball joints in and out. =] Gotta put my whole body into it!

Dodge Knuckle off, time for ford knuckle!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Stupid unit bearings

Ball joints torqued to;
35 Lower
70 Upper
150 Lower

Stock Ford 30 Spline Dana 60 Axle Shaft mated to the stock 97 Dodge Inner axle shaft. New spindle seals/bushings installed as well to keep dirt/grime out of the spindle.

Screwing in those super duper cap screws. Or whatever they're called.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Regarding the brakes obviously upgraded to dual piston calipers! Pretty self explantory although the banjo bolt is the right size, it is the wrong pitch. The brake line is plenty long enough as well.

Tie rod bolts right in, my truck was toed out slightly so adjusted the sleeve one turn to get 1/8" toe and it was set to go. All said and done the Ford knuckles only make the tires stick out an extra three quarters of an inch. I had used hubs from a 78-79 Ford which have smaller wheel studs so the lug nuts from the Dodge did not fit. If I used the hubs we had from the 92-93 Ford the wheel studs would have been the right size and the lug nuts would have fit from the Dodge-fail on my part. We used the 78-79 hubs because they were already prepped and ready to go and didn't realize the stud size difference till it was already assembled.

Another nice product for the BJ 60's that might be worth looking into!

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/ProSte...ep-p-20296.html

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Good tech, you have more tread on your hoodie than you do on your truck. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
EXCELLENT information!! When I saw the pic and caption of, "Me doing...." I had to scroll up and look at your user name. :laughing:

But great to know that 92-96 Ford knuckles bolt in place of 94-98 Dodge stuff. :beer:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Very cool info. Did you use the dodge inner axles and the ford stub shafts? I assume everything from the ball joints out is ford? Please share a little more of your wisdom with us.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Im starting to get all my parts together to do my 96. I have deal wobble everytime I drive the truck now. I will be doing 5.13 gears, 37" H1 Tires, recentered 12 bolts and lots of engine work. Its my daily driver to get me around.... Ill be getting the D50 knuckles and out and will be trying that. If those dont work ill get swaping all the D50 parts to a D60 for knuckle and that should work. 35 spline shafts and a detriot are in order.

Truck before 37's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is there a conversion like this for the 1500 series with 44 front?
I don't know of a knuckle that works cause ford went IFS for the 1/2 ton, well maybe the TTB44 knuckles would work? I guess maybe to look into ttb 44 parts, but I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool info. Did you use the dodge inner axles and the ford stub shafts? I assume everything from the ball joints out is ford? Please share a little more of your wisdom with us.
Yes, dodge inners and ford stub shafts. and yes, ball joints out is all ford.

·
Registered
310 Posts
damn. :eek: you put a lot of guys here to shame!! Good Job!!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
You can change my knuckles anytime. I like it. Sexy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TTB hubs, knuckles and spindles are the same as the D44 stuff used in 78-79 F150. One thing about using the Ford stuff on a Dodge is that they are the same wheel bolt pattern, 5x5.5.

Rusty

1 - 20 of 701 Posts