Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1999 Dodge Ram. It has a 318 5.2L v8 with an air raid intake and flow master exhaust. The trany is a nv3500 5 speed transmission to an np241 t-case. It has a 3in body lift and a 5in suspension lift. Alien patrol bumper housing a smitty built 10,000 pound winch. It sits on Dana 60s with 5.13 gears and arbs. The front has had the vacuum disconnect removed and a solid shaft installed along with serviceable hubs, bearings, 35 spline outers and warn hubs. It rides on 38.5 14 r17 pro comps. I think i might be forgetting some stuff but that’s a good start.

This leads me to the reason I am posting. I want lower gears for crawling. I have looked around and found a lot of talk about running a Klune V. I want to know if any one here has any real time experience with one. I think that would work the best for me and a straight forward install.

Path 88s Dodge Ram with JK Creek Stomp - Prairie City4x4 - YouTube
Path 88 Dodge Ram and LJ4x4 Jeep Prairie City Runs - YouTube
Path88's Dodge Ram Hulkin' Redneck Cruise - YouTube

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never saw the black box when I was looking at possible solutions. I am glad I know now, but I have already pulled the trigger on a used klune V. I am surprised no one has any info about this in a Ram or they just don't want to post up?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
It seems you have it figured out, but an alternate solution would be to swap in an NV4500 for the much deeper first gear.
Travis..

·
Embrace the Suck
2,095 Posts
Black Box is cheaper, basically giving you a NP241/NP241 doubler. I believe you need to look into getting a SYE kit for that 241 after adding the Klune though, to compensate for additional length and needed slip. That will be your new weak point.

I've considered the 241/241 doublers, the 241/205 doubler, Klune V, Black Box etc etc. But in the end, the Atlas and Stak are probably the best investment. You can add an Atlas to a Klune or Black Box and have a 4 speed, but it's not any cheaper than buying a 4 speed from AA. I also believe the 4 speed Atlas is shorter. I agree that the 4500 probably would have been a better investment in the long run though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How does the truck do (power wise) with 5.13's and 38's? i'm doing a 1 ton swap on the same truck, my axles have 4.88's and I plan on running 37's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts