Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start planning a researching some major steering upgrades.....a recenty tow with my truck was not too nice, truck just wandered all over the road

My steering over these last two months is sloppy and not what it used to be...iI am thinking parts are just worn at 85,000 miles, especially with 37s.

I am thinkin about a Borgeson Box:
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/20032008_Borgeson_Dodge_Box-p-1685.html

But for some reason it cannot be used with a lift kit requiring a drop pitman arm??

Souce Auto says yes it can:
http://sourceautomotive.biz/upgradedborgesonsteeringboxforliftedtrucks.aspx

So, I hear that Redhead is the next best option:
http://redheadsteeringgears.com/

I am also going to upgrade to either Carli or Dyntrac Ball Joints, with a possibility of a free spin hub conversion kit

Carli Ball Joints:
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/ball-joints/index.html

Dynatrac Ball Joints:
http://dynatrac.com/products/freespin-dodge/dynatrac-ball-joints.html

Now, what about the actual steering parts........like the linkage. Is the new design the 110% fix or is aother setup better?

Thuren:
http://thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Upgraded Mopar Linkage Kit:
http://sourceautomotive.biz/2003-2009dodgeupgradedsteeringlinkage.aspx

I am also going to tack weld the track bar drop bracket to the cross member in a few locations, so it cannot move

Anything else I should look at or consider?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I don't see a steering box brace on your list. One of those deals that ties the frame rails together, that should help a lot. I have the Dynatrac upper and lower ball joints in my 04 and so far so good, but I only have about 10,000 miles on them so no real long term experience. I also have the Mopar steering upgrade waiting to be installed. I'm in the same boat, sloppy steering and uneven tire wear for me.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am already running a PSC Steering Brace

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My truck is a mess too!(`05) At 73,000 miles on 35's I am on my third set of tires and front won't hold an alignment. It's wearing the front tires badly and pulling.

I think the ball joints are shot. I have been waiting for PolyPerformance to bring out their balljoints. They are suppose to be half the price of the others.

I think the stock steering linkage is a contributor to my bad tire wear. The front passenger side tire wear is the f'n horrible! So the upgrade is in order.

I have a set of superlift 2in spring and a set of shocks in the front but, otherwise stock suspension. I plan to install the KORE HP Series lift in the summer, along with a new track bar.

Did you notice any improvement with the PSC brace? What makes you think you need a new box?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tires are wearing fine, I just rotate them every 6 months regardless of the mileage

The issue with the steering is that it just feels loose; no safety issues or concerns, becuase it drives and steers fine

Just within the last few months the truck wanders and I constantly have to move and correct the steering wheel position........and yes, I have messed with the tire PSI

The PSC Steering Brace seemed to help, but it has been on the truck for over 3 years

I am thinking worn steering/suspension parts......ball joints, rod ends, etc

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I put a redhead box on my 02, good quality box and very tight. The PSC steering brace was also a big help.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Just within the last few months the truck wanders and I constantly have to move and correct the steering wheel position........and yes, I have messed with the tire PSI

The PSC Steering Brace seemed to help, but it has been on the truck for over 3 years
When I put the 35's on my truck, the first part became my fate, I'm lane stripe to lane stripe... I'm going to talk to Chris (pretty sure you know him) today about the brace you mentioned.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My tires are wearing fine, I just rotate them every 6 months regardless of the mileage

The issue with the steering is that it just feels loose; no safety issues or concerns, becuase it drives and steers fine

I am thinking worn steering/suspension parts......ball joints, rod ends, etc
Check all the bolts to the brace. Mine have loosened up before.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I just replaced all my steering crap with Don Thurens stuff. Its like the link posted above but with factory tapered rod ends instead of heims. My truck has 35's and 178k on the ORIGINAL steering everything. My shit was loose...but not like some of the stories i hear on the intrawebz. Anyway...its tight now. Big improvement. When I get home I think the steering box and new ball joints will be next.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
'01 2500 CTD 150k miles.

I replaced my OEM balljoints with Spicer ones from alljeep.com. I've put about 30-40k on them and they're still as tight as the day I put them in. This is on 265/75/16s though.

OEM Steering linkage is still tight. I don't like how lame the tie rod is, but I haven't felt the need to change it out yet.

Also did the Solid Steel 3rd gen trackbar upgrade, along with their steering brace. I just recently had to replace the bearing in the steering brace after 50k miles. It was regularly greased at each oil change.

Went with crappy auto extra brand unit bearings. Passenger side has been holding up for 40k miles, drivers side I can't keep together. Loosen up after 10k miles everytime. On my 3rd one.

Also did MAXX sway bar end links. The crankcase vent keeps dumping oil all over the front end, so I've had to replace those bushings twice so far. Routed the vent into an opening in the frame rail. Doubles as rust prevention.

I also just recently pulled the valve cover to check my valve lash per the factory/intardnet recommendations. All of them were WELL within spec (.010" intake, .020" exhaust).

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
My truck is a mess too!(`05) At 73,000 miles on 35's I am on my third set of tires and front won't hold an alignment. It's wearing the front tires badly and pulling.

I think the ball joints are shot. I have been waiting for PolyPerformance to bring out their balljoints. They are suppose to be half the price of the others.

I think the stock steering linkage is a contributor to my bad tire wear. The front passenger side tire wear is the f'n horrible! So the upgrade is in order.

I have a set of superlift 2in spring and a set of shocks in the front but, otherwise stock suspension. I plan to install the KORE HP Series lift in the summer, along with a new track bar.

Did you notice any improvement with the PSC brace? What makes you think you need a new box?
I have the same issue. 180k on an 01 CTD wearing 285's and stock everything. I've been blaming the track bar because I get some bump steer.

I'm planning on going with all Thuren stuff, I have yet to hear anything bad about anything DT has done.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
What I found with my '96:

You tighten up one part of the steering, and something else starts wearing out faster. By the time I sold the truck, I was used to replacing an upper tie rod end every 8-10k miles. I had poly bushings through the front suspension, a custom drag link, heims on the sway bar, beefed up steering box, solid steer stabilizer, 1 ton GM TRE's, and 3.5" BS 8" wide wheels. I sold the truck at 135k, and at that point, nearly the entire steering system needed to be replaced again.

With my '01:

I run load range E tires, and stock wheels. With 200k on the clock, Its seen 1 track bar, and 1 upper tie rod end. Ball joints, drag link, steering box and tie rod are all original. Allowing some slop in every component means they all last a long time... oh and keeping load range E tires on the truck with stock width & backspaced wheels.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My '98 with 285's does fine with the Thuren trac bar (adjustable), DSS steering brace, and new ball joints.

Guess which one made the biggest difference in the feel the OP is talking about (loose feeling steering)?

New Ball Joints. :flipoff2: The trac bar and DSS are just bandaids to the problem. They are helpful, but not nearly the difference that new ball joints make. The ball joints are the worst on these 2nd gen trucks. Thank your lucky stars if you get more than 50k of out them. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
06 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 w/ Cummins and 35's 90K

I put the Thurne track bar w/ larger upgraded bolts (18mm?) and it drastically improved my steering. The only problem is i have tighten the lock nut on the spechical joint every 10K or so.. maybe some lock tight would help.. All my other joints are stock for now but i need to start replaceing them soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts