Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 2500 4x4 with the heavy duty axles. im not a big gear turner like most but its a 3sp tranny. can anyone explain why it shifts so hard from 1st to second. its been flushed recently thinking it would fix it, but no luck. could it just be the nature of that type of tranny? oh and it has 4: 10 gears with the 360 v8. any advice or solutions?

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
it's not a three speed auto if it's stock. should be a 46RH which is a 4 speed with overdrive. gear selector should be 1-2-D with an OD switch.

what is a "hard shift"? Does it do it at all throttle settings or does it feel like it should when you get on it?

Did the shop that flushed it use the right fluid? Extremely common mistake to not use the proper fluid in Dodge autos. They won't feel right with Dexron/Mercon in them, and they won't last either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im pretty sure they used the right fluid, maybe not. it just seems to do it at slower accelerations. when you get on it, it seems to shift smoother! its just rough at slower accells

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
it's not a three speed auto if it's stock. should be a 46RH which is a 4 speed with overdrive. gear selector should be 1-2-D with an OD switch.
Assuming that it is actually a '95 and not a '94, that is correct. I've found some references indicating that a 3 speed auto was offered in '94.

Did the shop that flushed it use the right fluid? Extremely common mistake to not use the proper fluid in Dodge autos. They won't feel right with Dexron/Mercon in them, and they won't last either.
I've heard that as well, but have not found that to be true in my own experience. Torqueflites don't seem to be at all sensitive to fluid selection and I've run Dexron III, ATF +3, Type F, and tractor oil in them with no issues. The newer electronic trannys may be more finicky (I don't have much experience with them other than driving them), but even the Goerend Bros. put Dexron III in their trannys (that's what they told me they use when I asked them).

well im pretty sure they used the right fluid, maybe not. it just seems to do it at slower accelerations. when you get on it, it seems to shift smoother! its just rough at slower accells
That would be normal, as the fluid coupling in the TC absorbs more of the shock of the shift.

It sounds to me like your tranny may have been rebuilt and/or the valve body may have been reworked. I honestly wouldn't worry about it shifting firm. If you are still worried/annoyed by it, I'd take it to a tranny shop and have them do a test drive and see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
Assuming that it is actually a '95 and not a '94, that is correct. I've found some references indicating that a 3 speed auto was offered in '94.
That would have had to be a 727, right? I didn't think a BR ever came with a 727 and that they were all 518s after about '90. You seem to be a bit more up on this than I, can you fill me in a little?

I also have not heard of using Dextron/Mercon without bad results but most of my experience is with the RE series. I've driven RHs and 727s but not done much with them otherwise, and I've never touched a 518, just seen the roasted light duty model, the 42RH precusor. A500 I think?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
That would have had to be a 727, right? I didn't think a BR ever came with a 727 and that they were all 518s after about '90. You seem to be a bit more up on this than I, can you fill me in a little?

I also have not heard of using Dextron/Mercon without bad results but most of my experience is with the RE series. I've driven RHs and 727s but not done much with them otherwise, and I've never touched a 518, just seen the roasted light duty model, the 42RH precusor. A500 I think?
I've never actually seen a '94 truck that has a 3 speed in it, but car-part.com and a few other online parts sources indicate that an a727 was available. Maybe it is a typo or only was available in the bare bones work trucks? I'm not sure, but just thought I would throw that out there since this guy claims to have a 3 speed. :)

42rh/a500 should be the same difference.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Im not sure what you have for transmission setup exactly. But if It has a TV cable you can maybe adjust that. It could be out of adjustment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have never heard of a 3spd in a 94+ truck. The last 3spds i know of were the early CTD trucks- '89ish or so.

I would never go by what car-parts.com has to offer for parts as a reference.
Advance auto lists a dana 44 front axle as available from the factory in my '93 CTD, (a 44 was never offered in a CTD truck), as well as parts for an NV4500 being used in '92/'93 CTD (only getrags used in those years)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
i have never heard of a 3spd in a 94+ truck. The last 3spds i know of were the early CTD trucks- '89ish or so.

I would never go by what car-parts.com has to offer for parts as a reference.
Advance auto lists a dana 44 front axle as available from the factory in my '93 CTD, (a 44 was never offered in a CTD truck), as well as parts for an NV4500 being used in '92/'93 CTD (only getrags used in those years)
Like I said, I have never seen one either, BUT car-part does list it as an option and several are available that supposedly came from '94 1500s. I doubt that there are 10 different junkyards that are all mistaken and don't know what they have (although it isn't out of the realm of possibility). Personally, I've found car-part to be a fairly decent reference as far as what was available in a specified year.

It doesn't really matter at this point anyway since the OP said that he was mistaken and that it was an OD transmission.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I also have not heard of using Dextron/Mercon without bad results but most of my experience is with the RE series. QUOTE]

I got tired of trying to find ATF+3 back in the day and flushed my 727 in my 79 with dexron and haven't had any problems since. I won't run anything but ATF+4 in my cummins, but in my trail rig I haven't had a problem since switching to dexron

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I run mercon dexron in my 46re and have had no problems. But I only put it in and ran it because it was a complete rebuild. But 4-5k miles later, no probs at all. Theres reputable dodge tranny builders that run it in 5k dollars trannys, so why cant I.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I run mercon dexron in my 46re and have had no problems. But I only put it in and ran it because it was a complete rebuild. But 4-5k miles later, no probs at all. Theres reputable dodge tranny builders that run it in 5k dollars trannys, so why cant I.
IMHO, the ATF+4 is a superior lubricant, but I agree. In my experience fluid type is not going to hurt a torqueflite at all. There is very little that is actually electronic in a 46,47,and 48re transmision and I really doubt what electronics are in there will be affected.

A lot of tranny shops buy their oil in bulk and put the same stuff in all transmissions regardless of whether it is the "correct" fluid for the application or not. Like I mentioned earlier, when I ordered my torque converter from the Goerend brothers I casually asked them what they suggested running for oil (even though I already knew what I was going to run) and they said that they put Dexron III in their trannys, but that the ATF+4 was also a good choice if I wanted to find it. My buddy used to work for a few tranny shops in the '80s and early '90s and they put type F in everything.

The original poster's question/problem has nothing to do with the lubricant selection IMHO. Adjusting the TV cable might help some, but I have my doubts that it will reduce the firmness of the 1-2 shift. Furthermore, I don't see why you would want to soften it up either if it is firm (not harsh) as soft shifting would be promoting some slippage and additional wear on the intermediate band.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts