Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search...

I went "shopping" for a rear end today, found a Dana 60 under a 1985 Dodge B350 extended van, the wreckers tell me that it's a 5500 lbs axle. I pulled the shafts and they are 1 5/16 30 spline, but because there's so much goddamn snow I couldn't figure out what ratio is in it. It's 64.5" wide and factory offset (perfect for my application).

So, could this be a D61? If it is, can I use it? I want to run a 3.54 gear and eventually an ARB with 35 spline shafts. Should I pass on the rear end if it's a dana 61? I didn't see any odd casting ridges..

Help!

thanks

J-L

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you find it to have 3.07 axle gears, it probably is a 61.

Either on the diff webbing next to the diff cover OR above or below the pinion yoke on the housing should have your 60 or 61 molded in the housing.

Also, the axle build code stamped in to the tubes can tell you. I believe the first two numbers of the code are going to be 60#### or 61####. That's how my Dodge 61 is. Had 3.07s.

I'm planning to run 5.38s in mine with some work. I understand it takes a ring gear spacer and possible internal clearancing to run the deeper gears. I'm still looking for people that have already done this and can offer their suggestions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Furthermore...

The difference between the 60 and 61 housings is where the pinion sits in relationship to the centerline of the housing. The 61 has the pinion farther over to one side (away from the ring gear flange, right?). If you try to use Dana 60 higher numerical gears in the 61 housing, the ring gear won't have proper contact with the pinion and may not even contact at all, hence the suggestion of a ring gear spacer.

I don't know what you've heard, but I'm considering taking my old trashed 3.07 ring gear and turning it down into a spacer, as long as I can find a cutter that will stand up to the hardness of a gear. I've heard that the spacer has to be about 0.75" thick. I don't know this for a fact though. I will be experimenting soon, getting those 5.38 D60 gears to run in a 61 housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts