Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new truck....and I cannot decide on what I want......I like all three trucks........I am looking to get some info on the different powerplants these trucks come with....if any of you have any feedback for me on the engines listed below, please help me out.......

chevy 8.1
chevy duramax
dodge 5.7 hemi
dodge cummins (new)
dodge V10
ford V10
ford 7.3 powerstroke
I am not really interested in the new 6.0 powerstroke, due to what I have read on this forum, but I do like the 7.3

whatever I buy will most likely have a 5 or 6 speed....no automatics for me.........

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
100% without a doubt get the cummins..best motor in the bunch...I have a PS and absolutely love it but I would trade it any day for a cummins...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I second the non gasser recomendation. Granted, a diesel will cost more, but they're far superior engines, and the resale vavle tend to be higher from my experince.
-John

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
CUMMINS

·
Registered
279 Posts
They DO NOW!
the new cummins 600 is 50 state legal. goes into production the first week of Jan.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
eurobob said:
Kinda hard since he's in Cali. Don't sell them here.
He could get a used one with 7500 miles on it.

I think he should buy mine that is in my sig! More power, more add-ons and I don't want to put plates on it in Jan! LOL :D

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hrmm.. I'd get a Ford.. because I like the body the best.. and put a Cummins in it... and a Allison auto out of the Chevy...

Whatever truck you get will more than likely be a compramise.. so just pick the one you like the looks of the best and go with it. Can't really go wrong with any of the big 3's big diesels.. regardless of how much argueing people do.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Vermin said:
Hrmm.. I'd get a Ford.. because I like the body the best.. and put a Cummins in it... and a Allison auto out of the Chevy...

Whatever truck you get will more than likely be a compramise.. so just pick the one you like the looks of the best and go with it. Can't really go wrong with any of the big 3's big diesels.. regardless of how much argueing people do.

wow, picking cause the looks sound pretty lame to me...I owuld pick by reputation and whats gonna fit your needs the best...

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
i agree with most of what has been said here. i do like the look of the Ferd, dont care for the chebby at all anywhere, it really came down to Ferd or Dodge. with some research done it seemed that the cummins will put up with much more aftermarket screwing with than the PSD. getting a PSD over 400 HP is not cheep nor is the motor going to be very happy at that level. since i knew that i couldnt own anything without fawking around with it...my only option was the Cummins with the 6 speed.

now i have had it for awhile i seem to dump almost as much into towrig HP as i do into my wheeler.:goofball:

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
Supergper said:

wow, picking cause the looks sound pretty lame to me...I owuld pick by reputation and whats gonna fit your needs the best...
Well, then, guess I'll get that Edsel now.

Looks has something to do with it. I'd never own one of those Avalanched Chevy's. It's just plain ugly. And those Dodge's have a back seat that looks pretty cramped (and sure enough, it is.)

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
eurobob said:

Well, then, guess I'll get that Edsel now.

Looks has something to do with it. I'd never own one of those Avalanched Chevy's. It's just plain ugly. And those Dodge's have a back seat that looks pretty cramped (and sure enough, it is.)

I agree totally with looks have something to do with it, BUT I would never choose a 40K truck on looks alone...like someone mentioned above, in a perfect world I would have a Ford Truck with a Cummins but I prefer a 6 speed...

weighing everything (if I was buying new and price didn;t matter) I would go for the Dodge simply cause the cummins is such a great engine...

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
Supergper said:

I agree totally with looks have something to do with it, BUT I would never choose a 40K truck on looks alone...like someone mentioned above, in a perfect world I would have a Ford Truck with a Cummins but I prefer a 6 speed...

weighing everything (if I was buying new and price didn;t matter) I would go for the Dodge simply cause the cummins is such a great engine...
I just went through that decision making process and ended up with the PSD. I still would rather put a CTD in it, but I'll have to wait until I blow up this one. :)

I went with the auto and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. Only bad thing is when I hop into the Heep, I've got to relearn the clutch. :p

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Jason R said:
Don't get a gas motor. Especially a Ford v10.
Why not? I have one and I love it. I would buy another one in a heart beat. It really depends on what you are going to use the truck for. If I was to get a D it would, without a doubt be a PSD.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Supergper said:

Hrmm.. buying by reputation (oh.. did you say reputation or opinion.. they are often the same) sounds pretty lame to me. I'm the one that has to walk out my front door every day and see that big piece of steel sitting there.. I better like what I see, or I'm gonna be pissed off. There are good and bad stories about every brand vehicle out there.. some people live and die by a specific brand/model while others hate the damn thing. As I originally posted.. I'd take a Ford with the Cummins and an Allison.. but since I can't have that.. I'll take the Ford because I think they look the best and the motor is decent. Seems to be the best compromise to me...

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Vermin said:

Hrmm.. buying by reputation (oh.. did you say reputation or opinion.. they are often the same) sounds pretty lame to me. I'm the one that has to walk out my front door every day and see that big piece of steel sitting there.. I better like what I see, or I'm gonna be pissed off. There are good and bad stories about every brand vehicle out there.. some people live and die by a specific brand/model while others hate the damn thing. As I originally posted.. I'd take a Ford with the Cummins and an Allison.. but since I can't have that.. I'll take the Ford because I think they look the best and the motor is decent. Seems to be the best compromise to me...
A couple things I considered. If I was going to fork over money for a 4x4, it had better be a solid front axel. I also agree with Vermin, if you gotta look at it for a long time and your going to be dropping a ton of cash on it you better like the way it looks. This goes for women too, but that's another forum :D

I also have an inside look at some of the parts suppliers for the automotive industry. I have been involved with the design and build of airbag folding machines, riveters, electrical test and various other assembly stations for the last 8 years. From what some of our customers have told us, Honda is by far the most proactive when it comes to improving their parts. If someone comes up with a better part that will be 100% better than the original at a cost of 1/10 of a cent more ea, Honda will do it. On the other end of he Spectrum you have Dodge and to a lesser extent GM. Make it as cheap as possible (Chrysler) and squeeze the supplier for an additional 20% off the machinery (favorite GM tactic thru the 90's). Where do you think that 20% is going to come from? From what I have seen it comes off of the quality. Hell, I remember the day we had some guys from a magor GM parts supplier in for a buy off on a machine. The guy I worked with had bought a new Grand Prix and the interior was literally falling apart after a year. He was complaining to the head of that division and all he got was an acknowledgment that "yes, our interiors suck." I have always avoided the big three like the plauge but if you want a big truck your kinda stuck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts