Pirate 4x4 banner

1161 - 1180 of 1356 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Hard to guess on egts. I would imagine if the injectors r stockish in the 700-900 range preturbo. 14-18 seams a little low to me so it might be on the high side. If u can get the turbo to spool into the 20s it would help. I bet hard pulls with that kind of weight u will be over 1100. It really depends on the amount of fuel its getting before the turbo pics up. Your auto will help keep the rpms up so it doesnt lug.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Lastly,
Without a million replies, what kind of EGT should I be expecting to see on this when accelerating at a medium throttle level? I am making 12 to 14 psi of boost when leaving a stop and speeding up to about 50 mph.
It makes what it makes. WOT is more where your attention should be, as that's just where the load it at its most severe, and you can actually compare instances with some repeatability.
So long as the turbo isn't surging and the EGTs are somewhere below 1800F peak it is going to be happy. Drive it around and get a feel for what is its normal.

There are so many variables that nothing can really be set in stone. Pyro probe thermal mass, probe location and stickout, gauge accuracy, injection timing, airflow, engine load...

You've got one up on most, in that you've got an electronic governed engine, so you don't got to worry about lugging it into enough boost to lift the head, there's a torque limiting map to limit fuel to what won't hurt anything. It'll also hold the fuel back until you've got the airflow to actually use it, keeping EGTs reasonable (depending on how smoky the maps are).

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
Thanks guys, and yea I do need to just drive it more and see what numbers I am developing. I'm ditching the lower bushing at the axle and going to a heim to see what I can get out of it. Moving the wheel back and forth, that bushing is just way too soft and the axle can move laterally 3/16" with just parking lot loads on it. I think it might be a little bit of what is trying to excite the wobble. I took the caster back from 5º to 7º and it actually did seem to tighten up the wonder but the steering slop was still excessive from the box ratio and pretty sure the aforementioned axle end bushing.

I got the running boards on it last night and was cursing the me of 5 years ago for forgetting to through drill two of the outrigger mounting bolts when I boxed the frame.... doing it with the body on was a frustrating challenge but it worked out. They make the truck appear more timid, lower, and sleek. It certainly seals the deal of the era appearance though. I folded the windshield out just to see what it looks like and I can dig it. Will be FAWKING AWESOME driving this thing on the beach in a few weeks once I get some more stuff dialed in and I can take it on a longer trip!

My buddy let his son crawl in it the other day and I have to say, his expression is how I feel inside every time I get in it.

Attachments

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Yeah with the running boards on, it really completes the look. A lot more unassuming and retro-y. I dig it!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a dumb question--I saw a fellow with one of these a few weeks back, that had the spare tire mounted (driver side above running board). When that's installed is it possible to open the driver side door? I noticed he was crawling out of the passenger side, making me think "no."

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
I have a dumb question--I saw a fellow with one of these a few weeks back, that had the spare tire mounted (driver side above running board). When that's installed is it possible to open the driver side door? I noticed he was crawling out of the passenger side, making me think "no."

Yep, does not open. There was a later retro-fit that put the spare further back but required denting in the rear fender some. That was done only to the last few hundred trucks I believe. This truck above pictured was hit by a nearby mortar round in the Padigilone forest. I can't imagine being in this thing while that stuff was going down, absolutely insane.

Was this the other WC53 that you saw? I see that you are in Washington; that area has the highest density of Carryall's actually, due to quite a number of them, especially the 1/2 tons, being sent to support the construction of the Alcan Highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes actually I think that was the same one--has the same paint/primer spots anyway. We came across him on the Washington backcountry adventure route/trail that goes from Oregon to Canada via backroads and trails in the eastern cascades.

We crossed paths a few times, unfortunately his NOS rear end locked up on him on a paved stretch. He steered it safely into the ditch. A few of my friends helped him pull the rear shafts and driveshaft and he sounded determined to finish the route in front wheel drive. Last I saw it he was in Wenatchee headed north with paper towels shoved in the rear hubs.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I've been watching this from day 1. I have thoroughly enjoyed the build. The look on the kids face is perfect.

Great job on this

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Yep, does not open.
Oh well that's rather inconvenient.
I'm imagining some sort of hinged tire carrier that looks like the stock one, but hinges out with the door. Pivot for the tire out toward the front bumper so it clears the hood/fender.
Much easier to just jam it on the back, but it's got the cutout in the running board and everything

Really dig the look with running boards.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,174
Yes actually I think that was the same one--has the same paint/primer spots anyway. We came across him on the Washington backcountry adventure route/trail that goes from Oregon to Canada via backroads and trails in the eastern cascades.

We crossed paths a few times, unfortunately his NOS rear end locked up on him on a paved stretch. He steered it safely into the ditch. A few of my friends helped him pull the rear shafts and driveshaft and he sounded determined to finish the route in front wheel drive. Last I saw it he was in Wenatchee headed north with paper towels shoved in the rear hubs.
Ha ha ha... YEP! Thats Jim! He and his wife Julie and their daughter Allie (Alex) were on that trip. They had nothing but problems from vapor lock to the 1k miles on the rear diff that locked up. He's certainly not afraid to try anything in that essentially stock old truck, its very cool the amount he uses and camps in that thing. They spent 6 days sleeping in the back of that truck on that trip to Canada... It rode home on a trailer.. Is this you in this picture? He and I are friends on Face-space and his wife and I are friends on IG. The carryall is a very small community; theres only about 5 of us on Instagram that actually post about the trucks regularly.

I've been watching this from day 1. I have thoroughly enjoyed the build. The look on the kids face is perfect.

Great job on this

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks! On to the airstream here soon!

Oh well that's rather inconvenient.
I'm imagining some sort of hinged tire carrier that looks like the stock one, but hinges out with the door. Pivot for the tire out toward the front bumper so it clears the hood/fender.
Much easier to just jam it on the back, but it's got the cutout in the running board and everything

Really dig the look with running boards.

Yea, its a cool look for sure but if you notice how it fits with those 900 16s... my 38.5" x 13.50s won't wanna ride for sure. I am going to end up with a spare mount that attaches to the rear somehow but is easily removable. Maybe even a receiver hitch mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh that is too funny. Yeah that's me in the green shirt. Wow, I'm glad to hear they made it to the border!! The worst washout on the main trail was behind him at this point but it's still quite a ways to go from there. We all thought it was a cool old rig and neat that he was taking it on a trip like this. Neat!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Silent lurker here. Glad to see this thing coming up on getting 'completed'. This has been one of my favorite threads in this section.

Good job!

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
It hit 68 mph at one point on a quick little 1.2 mile test run between two exits on our local expressway. AND OF COURSE. I am on edge with this thing, its got a weird hop going on,

In the mean time I HAVE to finish closing in this center console. Its been nice to watch the transmission move a little under load and stuff BUT.... gawd its hot in there.

Lastly,
Without a million replies, what kind of EGT should I be expecting to see on this when accelerating at a medium throttle level? I am making 12 to 14 psi of boost when leaving a stop and speeding up to about 50 mph.
What are you using for tire balance? I can't imagine those XMLs are even close to being round :laughing: MIght take a few miles before they warm up and get "round". I run airsoft BBs in my 37s with beadlocks. Nice and smooth up to 80 MPH (not really wanting to go faster than 80MPH in a 1965 Scout on 37s :laughing: )

Yep there is a ton of heat in the transmission tunnel. I wrapped the downpipe with DEI Titanium wrap, layered Hushmat and the stock Ford firewall heat shield on the firewall, but didn't do anything to the transmission tunnel. Around town was no problem, but my first long road trip, the heat coming off the trans tunnel was unbearable...I stopped and put 2 large bags of ice on the trans tunnel to help keep it cooler inside.

After that trip, I pulled the trans tunnel and added a layer of Hushmat and a layer of aluminum roof flashing with a 1/4" air gap. Made a huge difference in blocking the heat coming into the cab. If you haven't done so already, add some heat shield to the trans tunnel.

Hard to guess on egts. I would imagine if the injectors r stockish in the 700-900 range preturbo. 14-18 seams a little low to me so it might be on the high side. If u can get the turbo to spool into the 20s it would help. I bet hard pulls with that kind of weight u will be over 1100. It really depends on the amount of fuel its getting before the turbo pics up. Your auto will help keep the rpms up so it doesnt lug.

I agree with DE Jeeper 700-900*F is pretty normal range for EGTs, up to 1100-1200*F for short bursts, I wouldn't push past that with out worrying about melting a piston, (my EGT probe is just after the turbo, so I know actual EGT is a bit higher). This is in my 1965 Scout with a 1996 7.3 Powerstroke.

My diesel Sprinter (2015 MB 3.0L) also runs the same 700-900* during normal driving, 1100* if I really pushing it up a hill, or when it goes into regen it will peak around 1200-1300* to burn off shit in the DPF.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178
What are you using for tire balance? I can't imagine those XMLs are even close to being round :laughing: MIght take a few miles before they warm up and get "round". I run airsoft BBs in my 37s with beadlocks. Nice and smooth up to 80 MPH (not really wanting to go faster than 80MPH in a 1965 Scout on 37s :laughing: )

Yep there is a ton of heat in the transmission tunnel. I wrapped the downpipe with DEI Titanium wrap, layered Hushmat and the stock Ford firewall heat shield on the firewall, but didn't do anything to the transmission tunnel. Around town was no problem, but my first long road trip, the heat coming off the trans tunnel was unbearable...I stopped and put 2 large bags of ice on the trans tunnel to help keep it cooler inside.

After that trip, I pulled the trans tunnel and added a layer of Hushmat and a layer of aluminum roof flashing with a 1/4" air gap. Made a huge difference in blocking the heat coming into the cab. If you haven't done so already, add some heat shield to the trans tunnel.

I agree with DE Jeeper 700-900*F is pretty normal range for EGTs, up to 1100-1200*F for short bursts, I wouldn't push past that with out worrying about melting a piston, (my EGT probe is just after the turbo, so I know actual EGT is a bit higher). This is in my 1965 Scout with a 1996 7.3 Powerstroke.

My diesel Sprinter (2015 MB 3.0L) also runs the same 700-900* during normal driving, 1100* if I really pushing it up a hill, or when it goes into regen it will peak around 1200-1300* to burn off shit in the DPF.
I have exactly 16 oz of air soft in each wheel combo. At 40 mph they are okay but I can tell something is still unhappy in the front. I have to wait until after this weekend to mess with the steering again. I actually want to get the new box installed before I do too much more. I know that I can get this thing to drive nice though just by the feedback its been giving me and it is not twitchy at all but just floats along and rides Ohhhh soo smooth. I hit some really bad railroad tracks tonight and it just soaked it up; in my truck, they jar your teeth and I actually track out of the normal wheel path to smoother ground. I aimed for the worst spot and it was just as nice as the Range Rover. These Alcan rear springs were worth every penny and I don't even have the Reservoirs on the front ORIs and I am now kinda hesitant to install them if the truck is doing this well already.

I plan on installing some heat shield under and around the transmission tunnel after I get the rest of my air lines ran for the rear assist shocks and the air shift system. Quite a bundle of hoses running from the switch assembly to the cylinders.

I bombed around today and actually with some hard line leaves, I couldn't get the EGT to show more than about 1250. I think ya'll are right that the ECM knows better than to do too much. Man this thing is LAGGGY though, but when it comes on... the torque comes on good. And I LOVE the OD turbo flutter sound that it makes when it finally hits that last gear. Mmmm.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Man this thing is LAGGGY though, but when it comes on... the torque comes on good. And I LOVE the OD turbo flutter sound that it makes when it finally hits that last gear. Mmmm.
Got access to the maps? Pull a couple degrees before it wakes the turbo up, it'll spike the EGTs to spool the turbo fast. Timing goes back in once the fuel's in there.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
I Man this thing is LAGGGY though, but when it comes on... the torque comes on good. .
sounds like typical MDT/commercial shit.

the ECU is dummy proofed to keep the boost low until you get up in the RPMs, so you don't lift heads or do other dumb shit things.

would agree that changing the map in the ECU is likely the solution.

1161 - 1180 of 1356 Posts