Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
When I broke my detroit, the other side still spun. The replacement part was $180 from Tractech. I don't run detroits anymore.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it used to be in the rear. It survived a rear axle snap. I moved it to the front, then it suffered from a front inner. Under load it doesnt spin. Jack the tires off the ground and it engages. Everything spins smooth. no signs of chunks.
now when I take it apart in the next few moments, what am I looking for as far as the detroit goes. Do I need to take it apart?

Thanx Jack

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
They don't seem to break when rear axles let go, but in the front they fail. It has something to do with the recoil.
As far as taking the detroit apart, there are some allen head bolts. Undo those and it will spring apart. The broken part should be a ring, kinda the inner most part, with a bunch of teeth or had a bunch of teeth. It's pretty simple to disassemble and reassemble. You will see when you dive in there. When it's time to put it back together, have someone else hold it as you turn the bolts in. It's sring loaded. Also to keep those washer like things from moving around, you can put some grease on there to hold them. All this will make more sense when you have it apart. Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks fine. I didnt disassemble the Detroit though. Do I really need to do that to make sure??? Prolly should be rather than askin :D :D

Why did it not drive the other side??? Thats why im still skeptical.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i had a problem this summer where my front detroit wasnt working right. i took it apart, put it back togather. and it worked. must have just been stuck between some gears. these teeth are what u should look at. if there are any broke off that is ur problem.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome thanx for the pic. So this is a no brainer to take apart eh? Shit wont fly everywhere when I open it up?
Appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
They really aren't a complicated device. The large spring that is contained by the allens that JackA is talking about doesn't hold a ton of tension. It will still fly across the shop, but it won't really hurt if it hits you like a coil spring.:D

As to why the wheel wasn't turning, there could be a ton of other things that are wrong still. You may have spun or broken a hub. When I blew my front Detroit it also twisted the hub and had to be reassembled. You'll know as soon as you drain the oil if you blew one, there will be little teeth everywhere, remains of the two outer rings in the picture. When mine went I shattered those rings into pieces, pretty impressive damage. I don't run a front one anymore either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts